Academic workflow

Could you kindly provide other Apps like ZotEZ? We would submit this to our R&D team at the same time.

1 Like

Hi Claire ZotEZ can be found here: https://zotez2.ezbio.net/

Worth you also talking to the Zotero Developers. Link below to Zotero and the ZotEZ discussion on the Zotero forum.

https://www.zotero.org/

Regards

this would be great, but the problem is kind of deeper, since Neo reader annotations need to be exported.

Mendeley and Zotero are really the main ones, but Mendeley already works sort of well on the Boox Max 2, however many academics would prefer to use Zotero because it is open-source.

2 Likes

This could be easily done by providing a service running on the eReader and an application running on the Windows side, registered as a PDF viewer. When this Windows-side proxy would be called to open a PDF from Zotero (or other app), it would transmit the PDF residing on the Windows filesystem to the service on the e-Reader. This service would in turn open up the PDF in Neo Reader, let you mark it up and then detect when the file was saved. At that point it would send the PDF back to the Windows-side proxy application which would either overwrite the previous version or back that up first and then overwrite it.

1 Like

I use my Note Pro with Zotero for both academic and legal purposes. What I do is use the Zotfile extensions to “send” pdf docs from Zotero to the device - this can be done by setting a folder pathway in zotfile preferences, which can be a local file on your device or cloud storage (i use both onedrive and dropbox folders that sync automatically by way of android dropsync or onesync apps). Then, when I want to work with the annotations or files back in Zotero, I just right-click the file and “retrieve” it from tablet folder. A nice perk to this setup is that I can use the Neoreader app on the tablet to highlight and annotate, and zotfile will automatically extract these highlights into a zotero note when I retrieve the file from the tablet. I can then generate a zotero report that has all the highlights at my fingertips when I am ready to write. This setup is seamless and efficient for my purposes.

Best.

4 Likes

I would also like to see a bette Integration of Boox with Zotero.

Thanks,
Dennis

1 Like

Not sure if this is of help to others on this thread but wanted to share some of my experience handling 1000 of pdfs on a cloud drive such as google drive.

My workflow is as follows. I have several thousand pdfs on a google drive which are organized in folders. When I first started using my Max 2 (10/2018) I had several issues like others on this thread. Neo reader would make a local copy and the annotations would not sync to the cloud. Annotations were saved in a second folder rather than the local file. So I started using xodo-pdf which solved most of these issues but writing with pen had a lag. This was not great but at least workable solution.

Today (11/26/2019) I updated to V2.2.1 on Max2. Neo-reader is able save the annotations onto the original file and also able to sync with the google drive. My file browser is solid explorer. Now everything just works.

Hope this helps …

2 Likes

How is everybody handling the lag in highlighting? Even on the XODO, I hate the long press to get the handles to highlight.

I use the built in reader and no third-party app, because they are not optimized for eink…

Just wanted to share a hint for users of the combination MAX/Zotero/Dropbox:

I second that there are acceptable workflows with MAX and Zotero. Not perfect because there is no full integration but OK for me. Boundary condition: I primarily want to manage my references on my work station with Zotero but primarily want to read my pdfs and make annotations on the MAX. So the pdfs (including their annotations) need to be synced but I don’t need Zotero on the MAX.

I anyways use a flat folder (no subfolders) for more than 1000 pdf files managed in Zotero as external links. I sync that big folder via dropbox from my work station to other devices, including MAX.

That setup works acceptable with NeoReader on MAX if you keep in mind to open the pdf files from the file browser instead of the dropbox app. See Pdf annotations export

1 Like

+1 here… integration with Zotero would mean a lot to me.

3 Likes

Hi There

I have just purchased a Boox Note 2 (ex Kobo Gen 1) and am super excited to READ on it. Thanks for all the people on here who shared their thoughts and insights! They are sure to come in handy when I setup.

My proposed setup would be: Boox Note 2 + (Zotero / ZotEZ) + (Zotero WEBDAV / MS OneDrive (provided by my Institution).

I currently work as an Academic Librarian (Systems) for a Large research Library. There are A LOT of talk here about what services / tools / devices? we should be providing our Teaching and Academic Staff.

I am super keen to see how ONYX Boox performs.

S

1 Like

I cannot see Neo-Reader for PDFs (there is a QR scanner by this name only) in the AppStore or in the Google Play app store. Am I being my usual self and cannot find it, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Best wishes,
TC

Well, I think Neo Reader is what the integrated standard Boox reader is called :wink:

Hi all,

For Boox to be a truly useful productivity tool for academics, the highlighting and annotation needs to be as simple as possible. Currently, these actions are slow and clunky in NeoReader (unless scribbling). Users at this thread have come up with a great proposal to fix this. Please consider heading over there and voting!

1 Like

Has anyone here tried Zotdroid with good results? Could it be a better solution than EZzot2?

Hi yes I have tried Zotdroid. It has limited functionality and is not a solution. I am also not sure that it is being maintained anymore. How the Boox developers getting on please? It has been some time now and an update on your progress would be very welcome.

Thank you

2 Likes

I use the app ‘Zoo for Zotero’, set the Download folder to the Books directory and use the NeoReader for annotations. Zoo for Zotero detects the changes an uploads the PDF. For me this works great and as a plus the Zoo for Zotero app looks really nice.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Right, so I am an academic and I now have a workflow. I guess it will not work for everyone, but it does for me, has ben tested on me and my students, so there.

And here is the workflow using DropSync Pro (there are other sync tools for Android, this works for me, never glitched yet):

1. On the computer I copy my current marking folder with all the work to be marked in PDF to the DropSync Folder I set up in Dropbox. (Marking is anonymous, so there are only cryptic student IDs there. No personal information or identification is there.)
  2. When the folder has synced I take the Boox and run DropSync. When the synchronisation has finished I use the Storage app to go to the DropSync folder (I have a shortcut to that), then I use NeoReader to annotate and mark-up till I am happy.
  3. I run DropSync, which syncs the files with annotations back to the computer - this updates the copy in the DropSync folder (I use both Windows PC and a Mac, both synced).
  4. On the computer - I copy the Dropsyncs folder with the marking back, overwriting the original (or as a new version if I am feeling more paranoid than usual)
  5. If needed I upload annotated files to Moodle or whatever your University is using.

Seemples!

I like my Boox :slight_smile:

All the best, hope all of you and yours are OK in this strangest of time.

TC