ANY possibility to backup highlights and annotations from Neo Reader?

So I just lost 3 weeks of work. I thought it was only a few days of work, but somehow Neo Reader has managed to delete every single highlight, annotation and handwritten note from my documents. I naively thought that all of that was saved within the pdf-files. But I can now see, that that was not the case.

I am extremely infuriated that such an expensive device doesn’t have any kind of backup option and so bad options of saving your work. I am writing my PhD and loosing 3 weeks of work is a disaster.

So are there any options for me to regain what has been lost?
I have already tried a recovery program, but that requires the device to be rooted. And as far as I know I should do as little as possible not to overwrite any data.

Help :frowning:

EDIT: What happened was: Neo Reader crashed and after a restart of the device all highlights and annotations were gone.

2 Likes

As an academic myself, I feel for you. I can’t help you with recovering your old annotations, unfortunately - I don’t think it’s easy to recover them after a crash. For the future, however, you can back up your notes quite easily. If you use the ‘Export’ function in Neo Reader (it’s under ‘Notes’), you can create a new PDF which will actually have your notes and annotations saved within it. You can transfer that file to a computer, and you’ll then have a proper backup which will survive anything that happens to your Boox Note. I personally use an app called ‘Dropsync’ which automatically synchronises the relevant folder on the Boox directly to Dropbox, thus backing my annotations and notes up whenever I have an internet connection. That should prevent this problem from recurring in the future, at least.

2 Likes

I’m an accademic too; i have the same problem and i’ve opened a thread some weeks ago without success. It’s true, like lensmann said, that you can export pdf with embedded note and highlight so you see this file on you pc. But what happen if i want to read this exported pdf from my boox note (or max carte) there is not note list, i cannot modify my note etc.
Landylee may you help us?

Please provide your build number.

We have fix this bug in V1.9.1
Please send your build number to socialmedia@onyx-international.com
We may need more information to analyze this problem.

I use “Autosync Google Drive”.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.drivesync
with my google drive in my PC and it’s work really well.

Landylee, yours replyies tell me that i can not succed in explaining the problem. So let’s try with another angle of view. If i open a pdf and highlight it or annotating it from my pc i can not modify this highlight and annotationg from boox note. I’ve just update the software and my build number is: 2018-09-05_09-59_1.9.1_575ba83.

If you make a highlight or annotation on pdf by pc,you can’t modify them by the boox note,and vice versa.

My build number is: 2018-09-05_09-59_1.9.1_575ba83

I have started using dropsync now as well, but it doesn’t seem to be a good solution. I can’t go back and forth from computer to boox. I had hoped that Neo Reader would save all notes directly in the opened pdf, so that it would automatical be on my computer as well vice versa. It’s a shame that it uses a proprietary system that can’t read and write any other “formats”.

AND I would still really like to know if there’s a way for me to backup all the application data from neo reader, so that I would have a backup of my notes etc. in that system format.

I need to get your log to analyze the crash issue .Can you send me the log?If you can ,I will tell you how to get the log though pc.

How do I get the log?

I have submited this issue to our software engineer .We will try our best to fix this problem.Please wait patiently.

Can you find out the original document on PC?
Please change the corrupted document into the original one(copy the original document form pc to the boox Note)
Note:Don’t change the name and the path.
Open the document again and check if the annoations has been recovered.
Any other question ,please contact us directly.(facebook messanger/email:socialmedia@onyx-international.com)

Are there any news on this topic? I am also missing a possibility to independently backup notes and highlights continuously without having to manually export them every time.