Bluetooth dongle for page turn no longer works after firmware update

I have a small bluetooth dongle that I used to use to turn pages on my Nova in Moon+ Reader Pro.

The device is this one:

The + and - buttons on the front either act as next and previous media controls if clicked once, or as the volume control if held down.

In the old firmware, if I setup Moon+ Reader to use the media + / - keys for page turning, it all worked perfectly. However, since the latest firmware update, whenever I click either of the + or - buttons, it always starts the Music app in background and plays whatever audio files it can find on the device.

I NEVER use the Music app, so will never want these buttons to do this. Also, if I’m using Moon+ Reader and it is setup to use those media keys, why is the Music app intercepting them and not allow Moon+ Reader to use them?

This used to work perfectly. Is there any way I can revert back to the previous functionality?

The new firmware has been a real mixed bag. The new refresh modes are absolutely brilliant. But most other changes (especially the insistence on the nav ball being on screen and required for app optimisation) seem to be fiddling for the sake of it. Lots of stuff that wasn’t broken now is, or more awkward to use at least.

Could you pls submit this on Feedback via Settings/ Feedback on your device? And our relative colleagues will reply back as soon as possible.