Boox note battery drain and screen freezing

My Boox Note is about 14 months old and suddenly started to have high battery drain problems. It works fine for an hour or two (less than 1% per hour) then starts to drain battery rapidly - about 8% per hour. It then starts to lock up so that you need to hold down the power key to reboot - that usually takes a few goes. Often locks up again during boot process. Plugging in the charger seems to solve the problem temporarily. Any idea of what the problem is?

1 Like

I also been having battery drain issues lately on Note Plus
My takes up to 50% battery in the four hours of my classes
I wonder if this has to do with the new firmware and direct note
As I write a lot and maybe some palm detection has to work a lot?

2 Likes

Motz,your battery has failed,change it.

You may be correct, but why would the device lock up during the reboot when the battery is 50% charged. It also works as normal for some periods of time. To me the problem seems more likely to be some item of software draining the battery.

Also, if the battery fails after 14 months of moderate use I am not sure it is worth replacing the battery. It would suggest a very low standard of manufacture.

Despite being 50% charged,the battery has failed and can’t crank out enough voltage,and yes I agree with you on low standard of manufacture,you can read my experience with Max 2 battery here:

For the battery problem, please kindly submit this Service Request Form with all information needed and our relative colleagues will have a better and faster diagnosis of the problem.

Thank you for the response, but your service team says that I will have to pay about $50 just for them to look at it - with no promise that anything will be fixed. Surely for such an expensive product you want to build a reputation for quality and so would fix such an obvious fault free of charge? Other users are experiencing the same fault just as the warranty expires. Similar priced products from Apple that I have owned will last 7 years with no hardware problems.

Could someone at Onyx double check if there’s any battery drain software-wise,
when using the Neoreader or writing notes?
I feel like maybe the battery drains faster since the last firmware update

I can confirm that: the note taking app drains battery extremely fast.

Very useful to know - so it may be a firmware issue.

Claire - could you give us an official update on whether there is a known problem?

1 Like

I am interested in this too. I just bought note pro and it would be very important to know that such problems have a non expensive solution.

“Non expensive” solution can be doing what mlslzrvc has done in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322308&page=2

May I know what will be cost $50? It is so strange and there may some misunderstanding. I will further check with our relative colleagues later.

Apologize for any inconvenience that may cause.

Hello Lemo, please kindly submit this on Feedback via Settings/ Feedback on your device when you have used your device for several hours and our relative colleagues will have a better and faster diagnosis of the problem.

Please kindly submit this on Feedback via Settings/ Feedback on your device when you have used your device for several hours and our relative colleagues will have a better and faster diagnosis of the problem.

Hello, we are sorry to inform you that we do not have the final conclusion on this possible battery drain problem. Please kindly submit this on Feedback via Settings/ Feedback and our relative colleagues will have a better and faster diagnosis of the problem.

The $50 is the approximate cost I was given by your support team to send the Book note to Poland for repair.

Noted with thanks. We have double checked with our relative colleagues that the repair cost for changing the battery will be only $8. It seems that the $50 was for the shipping fee?

Yes, but that is money I will have to spend.

Never mind. It seems I now have joined the dead battery club
Yesterday the device crashed and could only reboot after plug in to charge
Today I also got the same thing, with battery around 50% that just resets to zero…
Unfortunately I don’t have time to send back the device or play around with batteries
I’ll keep a look and see how it goes this week after charging back to full
But looks like I’ll have to spend the rest of my semester with a power pack attached

Edit: Same thing again right now tonight
I charged to 100%
Got 90% left 2h later in sleep mode
Then I use it for 30mn, then dies on me
Battery this time displayed around 80% at crash
Also I lost all my notes again…
r.i.p. battery

1 Like