Can two of these be connected together to display two pages of music side-by-side, turning two pages at once as in printed books?

Can two of these be connected together to display two pages of music side-by-side, turning two pages at once as in printed books?

Hi, one of our customer makes it come true on our Max Carta, pls check the following website. Thank you. https://www.padformusician.com/it/

If you use the “MobileSheets(pro)” app, it is possible without any hassle. You can connect the two devices via Bluetooth (the other one could even be a different device), and page turning is synchronized.
I haven’t tried it with two Boox devices, but it worked fine on my smartphone and a Boox device connected via Bluetooth.
Best,
Jan

Please don’t make this possible! It would ruin me. :sweat_smile:

That is interesting! Is the MobileSheets app adopted to e-ink screens or does it come with fades, scrolls and low contrast widgets like all other apps on the playstore? Is note taking with the stylus supported?

Hi johey,

the app is not speically adopted for e-ink, but works fine. Some menus are a bit dark, but everything can be read in both screen modes (A2 and full refresh mode).

Fades and scrolls at page turns can be turned of, menus are without scrolling.

Pen annotation works, but with a lag (which is irritating, but manageable) and (Onyx, I hope you are listening) a little bit of an acrobatic exercise, because screen touch also works as “annotation”, and thus you need to hold the pen without touching the screen.

Onyx, I still would like to have the feature to turn capacitative touch off - maybe with the exception of the notation bar - by means of an icon in the notification bar. That would completely sell me to use only Max2 as my musical score and not paper scores.

Best,
Jan

On Samsung Note devices the touchscreen turns off automatically when it senses the pen near the screen. This way the ‘acrobatics’ is eliminated fully, and touch works when needed.
Since Onyx uses the same Wacom technology (so much, that the Note 8 pen works with Max2 and vica versa), I bet it can be implemented on Onyx devices too.

I just gave it a quick shoot enough to realize I prefer thestock PDF viewer for sheet music. The MS app is far too inconvenient for me to use with the e-ink.

Interesting, for me it is exactly the other way around.
Almost always when I look for a function when using MobileSheets, I search the manual and there it is.
I have the strong suspicion that musicians are involved in the development of th app.
There is even a “stylus mode” when annotating as I found out now, which seems to work ok with the Max 2.
/Jan

Did you notice that MS released a special e-ink version of the app? Even annotating is just as smooth as in the native Boox apps now! Have a look at it…

Yeah, someone told me a while back. Thanks for reminding me, as I forgot about it. :slight_smile: I have now tested the limited version a short while and it is promising indeed.

Annotation seems a little weird. At first it looks like I’m getting what I draw, but after saving or touching anywhere with the eraser my annotations gets smoothed out, like it is converted to a low resolution vector approximation. I will see if you can cusomize that somehow.

Other than that, I’d be happy for a more transparent way of annotation. Basiclly I would like it to behave like the Notes app in fullscreen mode. It should always be possible to draw with the stylous without accessing any annotation mode, and there should be no popup boxes. No save confirmations. No nothing, just the pdf with annotations always-on. Always save without asking. The stylous should be the only tool for controlling the drawing. Of course, the behavior should be customizable to taste.

These things aside, I think the MS app looks good and powerful. I will use it for a while to see if there are no dealbreaking issues. If not, I’ll be happy to buy the full version.

Hi Johey!

I’m late to the party here, but I wanted to mention that over the summer (late July 2019) I worked very closely with Mike from Zubersoft (the developer of MobileSheets) via email about this issue. He has a Max2 and he made a build of MobileSheets specifically for our e-ink device. Pretty cool!

I told him about the weird intermittent handwriting-smoothing bug (I even sent him a video of it happening), and he believes it has to do with having the touch-input enabled on the Max2. He says that disabling touch-input (using the Max2 “finger” icon on the top right) helps. I find that this didn’t fix the problem 100%, but instead made it happen less frequently.

This is what he said about the smoothing issue in one email:

"For reference, this is what is actually happening when you [make annotations on your music when using the pen (not the highlighter), with “stylus mode active” in MobileSheets]:

1) The screen stops refreshing. All touch detection is basically disabled except for touch a few spaces on the screen (the bar at the top and the floating windows)
2) When you write with the stylus in pen mode with stylus mode active, what is being drawn on the screen is drawn by the Boox Max 2 itself - that’s not my drawing code. This is their “scribble” mode.
3) When you switch to another tool such as the highlighter, this “scribble” mode is turned off, the screen is allowed to refresh normally, and MobileSheetsPro resumes responsibility for drawing the annotations. You can see a small shift between MobileSheetsPro’s rendering and the way the “scribble” mode looks.
4) If you draw with other tools such as the highlighter, these can’t benefit from the scribble mode [because the Boox’ scribble-tool doesn’t have a highlighter], so you will see that the screen is much slower to refresh.

So hopefully that explains why the writing looks good while you are in “scribble” mode, but when you switch to another tool, MobileSheetsPro is drawing something different. It certainly looks like smoothing is enabled for some reason, but it’s disabled in your pen window settings, so I don’t know how that’s possible. I’m still looking for answers, but I’m not sure what to test next."

After Mike and I went back and forth some more to test more things, he came back with this in another email:

"I did see the other issue occur where it appeared like the writing was smoothed out. This seems to be related to the touch input/stylus problem as well. Here’s a quick fix that worked for me: tap the circle at the top left, turn off stylus mode, then turn it back on. When I did this, the writing returned to normal."

Since then, I also find that it only happens on certain pages of a PDF, but I can’t identify what causes it to happen. Like, it’ll happen on Page 2 of a certain song, but page 3 will be OK. Sometimes restarting the app helps (clear the memory first by using that paintbrush-looking icon after you hit the task-changer). Once I restart the app, that previously-troublesome Page 2 will be fine for handwriting, but a different page will be wonky.

I think it’s a memory issue, personally… but I’m not a developer (only a tester) so I’m not the right person to be diagnosing it. Neither Mike nor I can tell if the issue is with his code or caused by something on the Boox side.

Regardless of whose “fault” it is, I can happily live with this intermittent handwriting-smoothing bug as a small trade-off for all of the amazing things MobileSheets does so beautifully.

1 Like