Cannot update firmware BOOX Note Pro V2.1.2(20190612)

Hi,
I have a note pro and tried to update my firmware from BOOX Note Pro V2.1.2(20190612) link on the https://www.boox.com/downloads/ page. It just gives me the error as shown in attached picture.

Anyone have this problem? Or hopefully have a solution?
Thanks,

2 Likes

Dear, thank you for your feedback. From the picture you provided, it turns out that your device model is customized version, so the update package for Max 2 Pro on our official website is not suitable for your device. Please contact the store where you bought the device for an update package of your device. If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us.

Hi @claire,
I bought it from the boox website. And it is not boox max2. It is a note pro.

Sorry for the typo. Did you purchase the Note Pro from here?

I bought it from
https://www.boox.com/
Is it not your website?

It is advertised as the official boox websit

1 Like

Josettpat, I ran into the same problem with my max 2 pro. See my post about it. It seems we got stuck with a customized version from some Russian distributer who did not make it transparent when they sold us the device. I’m not sure what the customization entails, or why it is needed. For all we know, the customization could be a backdoor for the Kremlin :rofl:. I feel we are entitled to replacing our devices with the original version, or at the very least reflashing the device.

1 Like

Yes, so are you applying for a refund?

Not yet. I’m waiting to see how many of us are out there. If there are many, we can perhaps lobby onyx and/or their reseller to find a solution for us… Either a refund, replacement, or reflash. I don’t want to have unofficial firmware which I do not trust.

I paid by PayPal, so I raised a dispute for a refund. Will let you know how it goes.

3 Likes

Thank you! Please do! Where are you based? I’m in the US, and I suspect local US law would be on our side here, but I’m but sure how these international sale disputes are governed.

Dear all, the latest firmware 2.1.2 from onyxboox.com will be released soon, please be patient.

Claire, the problem isn’t only that we have to wait for the firmware. There are other problems: (a) We don’t trust firmware from a reseller not to have security flaws. (b) What if the reseller goes out of business in a year or two? We would be stuck without updates, while everyone else with the official device continues to get updates. © There is something unpleasant about being sold a different product without being told about it. (d) We don’t understand why they have a different firmware. What is it they need to add? The lack of answer to that question makes me suspicious.

2 Likes

I’m in Australia @el_duderino
@claire I have similar concerns. We saw videos with the updated firmware. The one we have is suspiciously different.

1 Like

I got this response when I raised the dispute.

We are the official representative of the manufacturer. I do not see that the reverse would be indicated below.
Regarding the update, our support team will write to you now.

Best regards

MacCentre
shop@onyxboox.com
http://onyxboox.com

1 Like

And I’m here with you with same issue.

It is not seems to be a good practice for me to cut off official firmware upgrade for some users.
I would not like to sound rude or something like that, but it seems that ONYX are dividing users to something like “classes”: some of us allowed to upgrade, but others must wait for firmware by “partners”.
I feel some concern… It is established adequate “partner”-firmware security-check process? It is not a discrimination by “point-of-purchase” attribute?

2 Likes

Dear, below are some feedbacks to your concerns:
(a) We don’t trust firmware from a reseller not to have security flaws.
The firmware is the customized version for our distributor and it is released by Onyx Boox too.
(b) What if the reseller goes out of business in a year or two? We would be stuck without updates, while everyone else with the official device continues to get updates.
Onyxboox.com has been an authorized distributor of Onyx Boox for more than 10 years in some regions, and we have established a long-term and strong partnership with onyxboox.com.
© There is something unpleasant about being sold a different product without being told about it.
We will communicate with our distributor regarding advertising the software version publicly.
(d) We don’t understand why they have a different firmware. What is it they need to add? The lack of answer to that question makes me suspicious.
They have offered the customized software, which is also released by Onyx Boox, to better meet the local customers’ needs.

so there are two versions of the firmware depending on where we buy the devices from.

What are the differences so that we can decide which is better for us

David Lang

2 Likes

Dear, the customized version 2.1.2 will be released soon and please be patient. It is impossible to cut off the firmware upgrade for you guys. Onyx Boox and our distributor will be here and provide support to our customers all the time.

Hello David, both of them are released by Onyx Boox. Actually, they are almost the same regarding the features, performance and other issues. The customized version is made to better meet the local customers’ needs in areas where our distributor are based in.