Developer support?

Hello,

I’m interested in writing NEW software for the Onyx Boox Note and Max2 devices running Android 6.0. However, after posting a question in the Github repository for the Onyx SDK, I have not received a response in over a week. Is there any support for third party developers interested in creating new software for the Boox devices?

https://github.com/onyx-intl/OnyxAndroidSample/issues/106

Sincerely,
Francis

4 Likes

We have forward it to our R&D, please stay tuned. Thank you.

Any update on Onyx R&D policy for working with outside devs?

2 Likes

I,m also interested in writing software for BooxNote with pen support .I hope boox open sdk for pen.

Here’s a dumb question but how do you get the device into developer mode for USB debugging ? I too want to try and write an alternative notes app using the pen SDK. Thanks

Hi,
Can you guys please allow an add-ons capability in the notes app. The add-ons can then be built by the community to allow for specific needs like more shapes, UML writer etc.

1 Like

I would also like to write software for the Boox devices. I’d be interested both in completely new apps or in enhancing built-in ones, like the Notes app.

It looks like Onyx has recently updated their SDK at https://github.com/onyx-intl/OnyxAndroidDemo.

Looking forward to trying things out.

1 Like

I’ve been playing with the SDK using one of there Android demos as a starting point. It works ok, you can get zero latency scribbling and then draw over it later. What you can’t do is actually change how the zero latency drawing is done because it’s done deep down in a native library. So you can’t do different intensities for example or change the pen style to anything but the built in two pens in the SDK. I’m looking at maybe going a lot lower level to try and do reMarkable style things like shading and pen tilting for wider strokes.

1 Like

Does the stylus supply tilt data?

There have been some additional updates to the Android demo.

@azw409 did you manage to get their demo to work with scribbling? I built the app, but the buttons on the “Scribble Demo” view don’t do anything. I just get returned to the previous screen. The other demos seem to work, but I was mostly interested in the scribble one.

Yes, I did. I gave up on trying to do really low level things as it needed root and directly updating the framebuffer was just trashing the Android screen as you might expect. I’ve done a bit more work on a really basic notes style app with shape recognition for rectangles, smoothing of lines and rubbing out using scribbles. There’s many issues but performance is reasonable and it’s a standard Android app using the Onyx SDK. If you’re interested in collaborating, I can post to GitHub.

Sure @azw409 , I’d be interested. What device do you use, btw? I wonder if their demo doesn’t work on the Max 3, in particular.

I’m using a Note Pro, all the samples in the demo app seemed to work but I couldn’t work out what they were intending to show. I picked the one with the least lag and used that as the basis for writing my own app.

There’s still a lot I don’t understand though because of the various layers in the SDK. Documentation is poor and the functionality is very limited. Most of it takes place deep down in a native lib which you have no control over i.e. how you draw the line in low-latency. The only option is to immediately redraw it after the pen has stopped moving which is a bit yuck TBH. It means that doing any kind of sketching app is out of the question, but I could do a note taker with shape and text recognition albeit with a slight delay after drawing to rendering.