Developer: unable to keep EPD refresh mode in A2

Hello,

I’m a developer and have a question about setting refresh mode with EpdDeviceManager.

As I understand it, to set the mode to A2, I need the following command:
EpdDeviceManager.enterAnimationUpdate(true);

To refresh it, I need to set it to false, then again to true, like so:
EpdDeviceManager.enterAnimationUpdate(false);
EpdDeviceManager.enterAnimationUpdate(true);

Then, when I select some text and open another overlay activity to input some text, there is a screen refresh, which theoretically shouldn’t happen if I’m in A2 mode.

When I’m in global A2 mode, the screen refreshes don’t happen, as expected.

I’m going by what’s written in this demo activity:

Is this a bug or can I somehow set A2 mode in a more permanent state from the application?

Also, where should I post these kinds of questions? The github page doesn’t appear to be very active and there are some unanswered issues.

UPDATE: After a bunch of testing, I discovered that the app automatically switches into regal mode after selecting text, ignoring my refresh mode directives. This appears to be a bug as this kind of switching shouldn’t be done automatically. Please advise on a workaround.
I posted a github issue here: https://github.com/onyx-intl/OnyxAndroidSample/issues/177

Thanks,
Andrey

Hi @andrey how your developer work is going?

It’s going really well, actually. I wrote an app that I use for my daily writing that recognizes my handwriting and converts it to text. This is something I’ve been wanting for a long time and it took me about a year to get it to a place where I have all the features that I wanted (incremental sync with computer, copy/paste, search/replace, spellchecker, integration with proselint, tabs, commenting, keeping your place in documents, non-flashing caret, etc). I’m not at a place where I’d like to share it, just because then I’ll be focused on development and support rather than writing itself (also, I don’t think that many people are interested in writing by hand to make it worth the extra development time). It’s currently on Android 6, as I have a Note, so I imagine I would need to do some integration work once Android 9 comes out. Onyx developer support is virtually non-existent (there was no reply from them here, and I think they just deleted my github issue post), so I had to figure everything out from their sample app on github, limited documentation and plain poking around the API functions in autocomplete just to see what’s possible. I wouldn’t say they make it super easy to get started.

1 Like

Hi @andrey
Love your reply. I didn’t expect it to be so fast :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t say they make it super easy to get started

Yeah, exactly this…

Anyway, I really really would like you to join this Discord (and to spread the word… ). There is a channel dedicated to App Developers and I think you definitely are one!

Cheers,
mePy2