Dictionary bugs and improvement suggestions

Hi,

I’ve been using Boox Note Pro for several days already and I run into some bugs and limitation in built in dictionary application, which is I’d say very important aspect of any ereader. I’m still on 2.0.1 FW version as there’s no update available. So here’s the list:

1. I don’t think there’s any inflection/conjugation/morphology support in dict app. So you have to search for exact base word to be able to see definition. Comparing to Kindle which I used previously, it is cumbersome and frustrating.
  2. It’s not possible to scroll or change pages in long translations after fully opening dict app nor in popup window
  3. In popup window of dict if translation is long, sometimes it shows nothing even though after opening full window dict you can see translation of that word
  4. I don’t think it respects formatting of the dictionary. Font is always bold, only size changes. On desktop GoldenDict application formatting is so much better with the same dictionary file.
  5. Would be good to have possibility of changing font face used in dictionary. I don’t like default one.
  6. There should be support for online Wikipedia, similarly to Koreader.
  7. Inability to copy any text from translations

I hope dictionary will get better after updates because now it is almost unusable :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi @elc00l
You can have some improvements downloading some other dictionary. But in general I agree with you. There is a lot of work to do in the dictionary :slightly_frowning_face:.

Hello, thank you for your kind suggestions. We will forward that to our relative colleagues to follow up. So far, you could download the dictionaries you would like to use on Boox Note Pro.
For the online Wikipedia, you could long press the word and then press the icon marked as red below.

Hi claire, thank you for your answer. Of course I have some offline stardict dictionaries which I use for a long time and issues I described are related to every one of them. Based on your screenshot, I see you’ve got probably newer firmware version because icons are different, so maybe behavior is a bit different but for online Wikipedia I meant integration without opening a browser separately. I probably wait for new firmware 2.1.2 which is supposed to be available soon and see what changed and what not. Claire, should I also report those issues via device’s Feedback or it would be redundant?

I also wanted to ask others if you’re experiencing the same issues with long translations I described in point number two? Or is it only me?

Hi, please feel free to submit this on Feedback via Settings/ Feedback. And our relative colleagues will take it seriously. The new version 2.1.2 will be released in the near future. Please be patient. :grin: