How to preserve the battery life, when device not used

hello,

actually the only way to minimize or stop the battery use is to power the device off.

the problem is, when we want to take quickly a note like with a paper (it’s the concept of the device) we have to wait the boot time which could be quite long for what we want to do, (even if you have to wait less than 1min).

an alternative is to press the power button to activate the standby mode, and when we need it, the device is immediately ready. the problem is that in this mode the battery life continues to be drained and this alternative is not a long-lasting solution (have to recharge every day)

many questions:
how to minimize this battery use in the standby mode?
the wifi connection is disabled and the screen is off (there is a displayed picture) but the battery drain is still important.
why the battery continues to be used?
is the displayed picture the reason? in this case how to disable it?

is there something else that still uses the battery? if yes, is it possible to implement a way to disable it, and call this, “hibernate” mode?
it would make the device immediately ready to be used when needed, and the battery life would be preserved.

maybe this suggestion can be proposed to the dev. team?

thanks

2 Likes

Hi @greg
I have also notice this issue. And I think should be taken into consideration by the dev team. I use to have a kindle and the battery last forever!
But, notice this is not only a e-reader… is also a tablet. It has services and process running even when stand by. So one solution is not to have many apps running in the background (I’m sure that if you have no Google services and apps the battery will last much longer). Also the WiFi can not be automatically turned off when enter stand by, there is an option in the power settings to set this.
One thing is not taking any battery is the displayed picture. Electronic ink does not consume battery.
Regards
Ramón

in the parameters we can disable google play. i don’t use it so i have disabled it, but it’s not enough
i have not added any app more than the default ones.

how to know what is running in the background?

The easiest way is to use a (3rd party) app for that. See that thread: Is 0,3% per hour battery drain during sleep normal (no Wifi / Bluetooth)?

I found AccuBattery app quite usefull for that, it can show you useful statistics.
The important thing is that normally the device is in deep sleep 100% of the time when screen is off (sleep mode). That way the battery must last for weeks (or rather months) in sleep mode. It this is not the case, some app is crazy on your device.

1 Like