Is 0,3% per hour battery drain during sleep normal (no Wifi / Bluetooth)?

Hello,

I have tried to examine how much battery will be drained during sleep. For that I opened NeoReader with three documents open, switched off Wifi and Bluetooth and let the Note sleep.

I didn’t touch it for 14:45 hours. And the battery indicator got from initially 99% down to 94%. So that would mean that a Note sleeping for one hour will take 0.3% away from the battery.

As 4 weeks standby were advertised and I can only come two two weeks mere standby time using my measured numbers, I would like to ask if my numbers are correct / to be expected or if my device has some problem?

Thanks in advanced for any light you can shed over me …

Best Regards,
chi.

Onyx advertises “one month of autonomous working period” so a month has 720 hrs. so in theory in 14.75 hrs you would have spent 2%?

But I often use WiFi and usually have to charge every day. Not sure if this is normal. I have charts of my usage and you can see battery level take a dive when WiFi is used.

I too am a bit frustrated since I do not know if power consumption for my Onyx NOTE is normal.

Yes, it is normal, I got around 0.18/0.25% per hour of drain, usually 2.5/3% per day sounds fine.

Have in mind that every app you have installed, can be in the background using power.

Mine must be broken since I get 8% power drop an hour.

Check your apps, one of them must went crazy, and using cpu during sleep. Normally the device should be sleeping 100% the screen off time. You can check that using a third party app, like AccuBattery.

1 Like

gubi,
Thanks for the tip I installed AccuBattery and discovered I am getting an average battery usage of .1%/hour on sleep mode and I am getting 1.4%/h combined use all this figures based on last 9 sessions. The app also estimates how much time a full 100% battery charge will last. For my device a full charge would last me 12 h (half a day) of screen-on, 727h (~30 days) of screen-off and 73h (~3 days) of combined use. I would be interested on seen other’s numbers to see if we all are in the ball part.

One thing I have noticed is that when I have 5 or 6 app open, AccuBattery shows their power consumption however when I close the apps AccuBattery continue to show them as open, I have to restart the device so they no longer show.

However according with AccuBattery, Discharging speed is 8.4%/h Screen-on, 0%/h Screen-off and 2.1%/h Combined use. What are your readings?

Also I see a 213mA current from the battery I have 6 Apps open AccuBattery, Email, Settings, ContentBrowser, World Newspaper (already closed but still shows), and System UI.

Excuse me, but how did you close them? Did you use the show-open-apps button at top right of the home page of your reader?

The screen on usage largely depends on what app you are using and what you are doing. So it is mainly irrelevant.
What is important that the device should be in deep sleep 100% of the screen off time.

It happened to me at least twice that an app went crazy and used CPU and battery while screen off. First it was librera (if I remember well) and last it was google play books. When it happens they drain the battery in a few hours. But the very same apps works well since that.
Although since that I keep the habbit to switch to the home screen before turning off (I mean sleep) the device. Maybe it helps maybe not…

Yes the two square layers icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen

gubi,
Thanks for the tip I installed AccuBattery and discovered I am getting an average battery usage of .1%/hour on sleep mode and I am getting 1.4%/h combined use all this figures based on last 9 sessions. The app also estimates how much time a full 100% battery charge will last. For my device a full charge would last me 12 h (half a day) of screen-on, 727h (~30 days) of screen-off and 73h (~3 days) of combined use. I would be interested on seen other’s numbers to see if we all are in the ball part.

One thing I have noticed is that when I have 5 or 6 app open, AccuBattery shows their power consumption however when I close the apps AccuBattery continue to show them as open, I have to restart the device so they no longer show.

gubi,

On screen-off I so far am getting 0%, 0mA/h. But because of my usage habit I am getting a couple of days before I need to re-charge. Maybe is not a fair comparison but I get more screen-on time from my paper white Kindle.

You are right, it is not a fair comparison. Our quad core device will consume much more power than a kindle, regardless of how well optimized the Onyx software is (not to mention third party software…). That is the price we pay for having more than just a dumb epub reader.