KOReader freezes

Note Pro user here, firmware 2019-12-19_10-55_2.2.2_916941d (beta).

When I read books on my Note Pro, in most cases I use either Neoreader (for PDFs) or KOReader (for EPUBs, since Neoreader does not render complex layouts very well).

Unfortunately, in this “mode of operation” KOReader freezes very often (all the time). For example:

1. I select some EPUB from the Library, open it with KOReader, read for a while
  2. I return to the Library (by double-clicking navigation ball)
  3. I select some PDF from the Library, open it with Neoreader, read for a while
  4. I return to the Library (by double-clicking navigation ball)
  5. I try to open the EPUB from step 1 once again - but KOReader fails to open, either it displays small black rectangle in the middle of the screen, or just blank screen

I had to manually kill KOReader first before I can use it again (for reading any book).

In this state it is not possible to kill KOReader from the “Multi-Task Switch” screen - I see KOReader miniature sitting there, but the “killbrush button” at the bottom only evokes the message “Released Ram Size: 0.0 B” and zombie KOReader lives on.
I had to either:

• restart the device, or
  • in the list of apps, use freeze icon to freeze and unfreeze KOReader, or
  • in the list of apps, from the popup menu (displayed after long-pressing the KOReader icon) force stop the app (Manage, Force Stop)

Did anyone experience this behavior? If not, is it possible to switch between KOReader and other apps normally?

It seems to be KOReader specific - I tried other EPUB readers like PocketBook Reader or Moon+ Reader Pro and they are fine. But KOReader is still my favorite (displays technical EPUBs very well), in spite of this annoyance.

I have upgraded KOReader several times (and Note Pro also upgraded itself several times) and it is still the same.

Yes, I’ve had the same problem recently. Since I generally just read with koreader and am not switching, it hasn’t been a big problem, but I have noticed the freezes when switching from one book to another within koreader’s menu. I have rebooted to fix it the times it has happened.

NovaPro 2019-11-22_17-28.2.2.1_0ac0781

Could you kindly submit this on Feedback via Settings/ Feedback on your device when KOReader freezes? Our relative colleagues will have a better and faster diagnosis of the problem.

Could you kindly submit this on Feedback via Settings/ Feedback on your device when KOReader freezes? Our relative colleagues will have a better and faster diagnosis of the problem.

OK I submitted it from the reader. The above-mentioned scenario is unnecessarily complicated - when I open any book in KOReader and then I switch to anything (notes, library, storage…), I can no longer return to KOReader and continue reading. I had to “Manage -> Force Stop” KOReader first - sometimes before KOReader saves the reading location and/or font size etc. It is not very comfortable. Now I use KOReader v2019.12. Thank you in advance for looking into it.