Making BOOX MAX 2 great for sketching

Hello Onyx!

I’m really enjoying Boox Max2 since some weeks now,
and using it primarily as a secondary monitor - for coping with migraines :frowning: -

This post because I found it has a TREMENDOUS potential as a sketching and drawing device, and maybe just with some small improvements to the software it could be a very sought after tool for this task.

I’m currently using “Note” for sketching - tried 3rd party apps but the were not really useable- it obviously lacks features as it was not mainly intended for sketching, I guess, but it already does a great job, and it would be perfect if only, in order of importance:

(BUGFIXES)

1. BUG -it happened that it reverted back three times to a very early saved draft, thumbnail was updated with recent activity all three times, but when clicking on it, a very early version of the drawing was loaded… and overwritten :frowning: it happened three times on the same “note”, not happened on other notes so far!

2. BUG -it hangs sometimes when changing stroke size or when trying to delete, perhaps it could be made lighter, maybe it’s handling too many vector lines / “undo” levels? I think it could do with just 2-3 undo, and “flattening” what’s older, if that could help, one generally undoes very recent misplaced strokes, not the older ones, and bitmap sketching would be ok, if one can’t anyway modify the vectors.
    Also an hourglass showing it’s somewhat “on hold” would be nice, as you avoid placing strokes multiple times while waiting for the software to respond, which all end up being misplaced when it starts back going.

3. BUG -the “straight line” tool keeps working only for first stroke, or for non-adjacent strokes, otherwise it does short lines and orients them oddly

(FEATURES ADDITION)

1. FEATURE: the eraser would be very comfortable if it could erase exactly what you are erasing, like the “pen”, but with white :smiley: and not deleting full sets of strokes (I guess this is more difficult if strokes are stored in vector format, but many softwares do it ayway — see Magix “Xara”) or if the drawing can be flattened to bitmap and then simply pixel-erased with the eraser… that would be super useful, and allow for more freedom.

2. FEATURE: a few layers would help, to make preparatory sketches below for example

3. FEATURE: “colors”, just few shades of gray could be nice, and would probably be easy to implement?

4. FEATURE: loading a picture “below”, so you can draw over it, would be very nice

5. FEATURE: if vector format it is, and no flattening is applied, then a .svg export would be cool (but this woul be the least useful if not compatible with previous improvements)

In all, the most important things would be the ones making it more solid and fast, the more you draw, the more it starts to slow down and becoming unreliable, so i.e. if it can be “flattened” and that could help to save on memory, that would be awesome.

Again, it already proves to be a WONDERFUL drawing tool, in some way even better than paper because you can UNDO strokes you just placed and you can clear without leaving traces, it has a good response to the pen and shows up like real ink on paper, you have thousands of "sheets"in just one body, no annoying and potentially harmful backlight, rigid body very comfortable, no need for a rigid “table” below like with paper, as it can fit in your hand - it’s great.
If some of those issues can be addressed, i think it could be AMAZING and very sought after by graphic artists all around, but also by technical departments or wherever sketching on paper is still very used!

(of course if “Note” app is not to be dedicated to the sketching task, making another “Sketch” app with similar features would be the same :D)

Thank you for reading Onyx and looking forward for next updates on this great device!

Hi, Thank you for your support of Boox, and thank you for your kind suggestions.

May I konw have you update to the latest firmware version? If not, pls try to update to the latest firmware and the check whether the bugs have been fixed or not.

OTA update process:settings→about→system update→check update from cloud→update
Do not interrupt the download even if it shows only 0%. The deivce will automatically go
into updating screen when the download is done.

Thank you for your kind and quick reply!

yes I have updated to the latest version, a couple days ago, after noticing the issues I updated to see if they were fixed :slight_smile: -mainly BUG 1 and 2 -
I see a new icon (to disable touch control) and a different layout for tools in “Note” app so I guess update process worked fine.

Effectively BUG number 1 showed before the update and happened only with one specific note, I didn’t open the same note again until after the update (to avoid bad surprises :D), but tried right now and that same note loads correctly, so it could have been fixed by the update.
If I’ll hit the same issue again I’ll post a followback on this thread!

BUG 2 still persist after the update, I’ve experienced no change in the way the system “hangs” sometimes (more often the more you used the app) when changing tool, or undoing etc,

BUG 3 might have been effectively fixed as well :open_mouth: sorry if I didn’t doublecheck before posting, I’ve just tried and it seems to work ok, I had dismissed using the line tool because of the issues I had so I forgot to try again after the update … (sorry). If I’ll run into other issues I’ll post back!

Well, great if 1 and 3 were already addressed :smile:
so if the general useability (no “hold” times on many operations)
and some of the features suggested could be made,
it would be awesome!

Thank you and keep on the great work!

Hi, Thank you. Regarding BUG 2, I would need you send us the Information FeedBack of your device.

Settings --> About --> Information FeedBack

Through the information in that section our R&D team will be able to see the device bug and will try to fix it in the next firmware update. Thank you.

Thank you, I’ve just sent Information FeedBack, hope it will be useful!

On a second thought about Bug3, it might have been caused by “palm” interference, since it started happening again with “square” shape yesterday, but then I’ve noticed I didn’t enable the (new) “palm rejection” option and it worked good, so it might have been the same issue with the line.This new function was a clever and very useful addition!

I take advantage of this post for another feature suggestion that came to my mind after further using, I think it should be doable without too much struggle (hopefully) thanks for considering it:

9 - FEATURE: an option to create your own “layouts”, like grids or forms, no need to have them added to the preset ones (which might be difficult to handle) a simple solution could be allowing users to “duplicate” (create a copy) of any saved note, so that one could keep its own layouts as saved notes, and then just make a copy and fill it whenever needed (like for “forms” for example, or grids for graphs etc.)
(Unless I’ve missed this feature and it’s already possible :D)

Thank you for the great support and kind attention!

Hi, thank you for your support of BOOX and thank you for your kind suggestion.

Hi, with the line-tool I find the same happens. I simply turn off the touch layer when using the line-tool and all’s fine - in fact when drawing or diagramming etc I leave the touch layer off anyway and use the stylus for the ‘button’ presses too.

John B.