Onyx Keyboard issue

Unlike on Max2, the Onyx Keyboard on my Max3 keeps Shift key down once pressed and make all letters capitalised. And, there is no comma ‘,’ on first English keyboard page. Can it be improved please?

@Bassanio You can change the default keyboard if this is an issue. Under Settings>Language, you can select Android keyboard, which is a little easier to use. You can also install Gboard (google’s keyboard) from the Boox store. It works very well. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Does it have to be the Boox store version? I installed gboard from the Play store and it seems kind of glitchy. Hard to switch to letters from numbers, and back, for example. Sometimes it feels unresponsive to certain touch input.

@HammockTime I’m using the one from the Boox store, which works well. I haven’t tried the play store version.

Do you have a Max 3 (what I’m using)? If so, what refresh mode do you use with it? I find that with the regular mode it doesn’t really respond - I need to switch to Speed Mode or A2 Mode for letters to appear as I type. Also, the speech to text isn’t working for me.

BTW, I tried the Boox store version with the same results.

@HammockTime I am using the Max 3. Build number is 2019-08-30_15-20_2.2_34fde2f. Strange, my gboard works more or less perfectly. So I did notice in some apps that i do have to change the display mode (speed mode) for it to show me letters i’ve typed. Most apps however, the typed letters show up instantly.

Looks like you’ve got older firmware than me. I’m at 2019-09-06_18-10_2.2.1_2646f23.

Yep, I didn’t do the update yet. Was looking around for a changelog for the update, but couldn’t find one. I may have to do the update, but also thinking about holding off if everything is working fine.

You didn’t mention if Gboard’s speech-to-text works for you - does it?

Actually i meant to mention that. It works, but it takes a second or two to stop capturing input - i think longer than on my other andriod devices. This could be my perception, or it could actually be taking longer.

I believe I’ve seen a setting for how long after speech stops to convert to text, and it was two seconds. Not sure in what settings that was, but I presume it was in gboard’s. Could be in the Onyx ones- don’t have the device here to check.

Great, thanks, i’ll look into it. :smiley:

Looks like that setting was in the Onyx keyboard. BTW, not sure if you’re aware that you can easily switch between input methods (keyboards) without having to go to the Android language settings, if you want to use one over another for some specific feature. e.g. I like Gboards swipe feature, but sometimes want to switch to the Onyx keyboard for the handwriting recognition.

I did not know you can easily switch keyboards. How do you do that?

Onyx keyboard:

• change to any other from notification area (“Change keyboard” option)

Android (AOSP) keyboard:

• change to the Onyx keyboard with the globe icon to the left of the space bar
  • change to any other by pressing and holding the space bar

Gboard keyboard:

• change to any other by pressing and holding the space bar

You’ll notice that when you’re using an input method (e.g. keyboard), there’s an keyboard icon shown in the notification area at the top left, to remind you of the switch that’s available there.

2 Likes