Please explain the firmware updates better (different versions / build numbers)

Hi, just got a Max2 and try to update to the latest firmware, as it looks like there are maybe some enhancements (as I have some challenges, which I would like to sort out before asking more questions)

Actual firmware is listed as:
Build Number 2018-01-17_16-39_1.8.3_3322186

Going into the service are I find 2 'updates:

BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 update
BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 (20180129)update

I downloaded both files and placed them in the ‘root’ folder (/storage/embedded/0).

But the update procedure (settings / about / system update / check update from local storage) fails and cannot find one or the other.

After rename to the file “update.upx” it looks like it would work! (You should update your documentation with an advice, that the file must be named ‘update.upx’!)

Questions:

a) Can you please explain the differences in the ‘1.8.3’ updates?

b) Is the ‘1.8.3’ (without a date) the same build as I already have?

c) Is there a risk going straight to the last update (cumulative vs incremental)?

d) Can I rollback any time?

e) Good practice would be to avoid system updates with the same version number. Here is my first enhancement request: Can you change to a better version / build number system? I mean, the second update should be 1.8.3.1 or having the build number included, not just saying ‘1.8.3’ with a date.

f) Can you provide the md5 sums of these files as it is not state of the art to update a firmware not checking the integrity of the files?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, a) “BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 (20180129)update”, this is the latest firmware update, as for the difference, you could check BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 20180129 changelog, thanks. http://boox.com/index.php/en/2017-10-26-08-28-2/update/10-2017-10-21-11-47-34/91-update-max-2

b) Yes, it’s the same build as you already have;

c) No, there isn’t a risk going straight to the latest update;

d) No, you can not rollback.

e) Thank you for your kind suggestion, I will forward the suggestion to the related person.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer!

Can you provide the md5 sum as well please?

Thanks!

The link you provided goes to a program for Windows, which creates the md5 (Md5CheckerCn\Md5CheckerCn.exe). The zip file contains the md5 sum fior the tool itself.

But I’m not interested in a program (there are multiple programs for different OS),

I would like to know your original md5 sum for the update (.upx) files!

Thanks

May I know which one you need? the original mds sum for “BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 update” or for “BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 (20180129)update” ?

I would need it for the “BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 (20180129)update”, but it should be good practice and a process workflow on your side, to offer this to all kind of important files you provide, especially for firmware updates. Beside, I would expect that your firmware update program on the device will check integrity well.

Thanks

508 MB - this is the size of the file.

Please read here to understand what I mean:

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Using_Md5sum_und_sha1sum_for_Checking_Downloaded_Files

For your firmware update, you should run (in this example on a Windows machine, the program is just an example, it’s the tool you provided as a link, I’m using other tools)

Md5CheckerCn.exe “update V 1.8.3 20180129.upx”

This will give you a hex number, which is the unique fingerprint. Best practice would be if you do it straight after your compilation / build process and second, once it has been placed on the website, then do a re-download of that file and compare it with the original one to make sure it has not been corrupted. Now make the “md5sum” public, that everybody who download the firmware can check, that the download and the upload to the device has not changed a single bit of the file during file copy.

You can even check the md5sum on the Max2 if you download a tool like ‘MD5 Checker’. This gives the security, that the firmware is loaded correctly and ready to be installed.

Thanks

The origianl mds sum for BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 (20180129)update” is : 0698d77d3bb2aed60c3760543503a551

Thanks! As said, you should publish this with every (firmware) update.

Thank you for your kind suggestion, I will forward the suggestion to the related person.