Please provide source code for kernel and bootloader

Is the source code for the PDF & EPUB readers and Notes app for the Max2 available? If not, would you consider release the source code for these? That would be very helpful for the community.

1 Like

Yes please make it open source. It will be to your competitive advantage!

1 Like

I disagree with the OP though: Building on top of android is the way to go. The UI is good enough and having full android power is just fantastic. Alternative: build on top of Ubuntu, but they have not so many good apps and are not optimized for tablets … at all!

1 Like

+1 to open the bootloader and +1 to open source the kernel.

1 Like

I agree, the kernel needs to be opened (perhaps also to comply with the GPLv2 license), but more important because that would open for the community to make the software better. The latter also applies to the firmware. But perhaps most importantly is the source for the user applications provided in the firmware distribution. By opening these developers would have access to them as examples of well designed e-ink optimized apps, but also the possibility to enhance the apps themselves.

1 Like

As the user applications are missing a lot of features, having them open source greatly increases the devices value.
E.g. I want to automatically export all my fingerings of my ~20 pdfs, so I can move and rename them safely on my desktop pc.
Losing these fingerings would be very very unfortunate. Having access to the source of the neo2reader app, I could implement this backup feature by myself.

1 Like

Seeing that this thread has been going on for half a year without any response from Onyx, I think we should abandon any hope of peaceful cooperation.

What needs to happen is someone reverse engineering the reader, or perhaps wait until ReMarkable hopefully release larger version of their open source pad.

My Max 2 has been relegated to simple PDF reading, almost every other feature has bugs, including notes and so on.

2 Likes

I’ve requested this as well at Wishlist for Firmware 2.x , and there’s another request open at Developer support?, waiting for a response.

I’m happy to see that the repo referenced at Please provide source code for kernel and bootloader seems to be active, with about 30 commits this year.

1 Like

Yes, please.

I’m fine with developing on Android, though.

1 Like

1 Like

+1 on both Kernel and Bootloader

1 Like

Created an account just to +1 this.

Thanks!

It seems unlikely that this will ever occur. If you poke around and dump the system files, you’ll find evidence of IP theft from other apps, dictionaries, and open source projects. It’s possible to get root on this device, but without a bootloader unlock I don’t know what other options there are. For people who are interested, there is some discussion going on at the mobileread forums.

Great! I quite forgot about this thread.

Hope things have changed since my last visit.

What I want Onyx to know is that they are losing IMO valuable customers if they do not open source these as soon as possible!! A year or less, it could be too late.

Also, @mikolajp I would ask you to join together and, frankly, make an open source Boox/E-Ink alternative.

Best

Bump. I would also like Onyx to work on releasing source code for their products, especially bootloader and kernel. I already bought a nova pro, which is on order, but if the UI and OS don’t satisfy me, I will look to another brand in future purchases that does focus on this.

Respecting the GPL, and opening up to the open source community with the bootloader can go a long way in developing a zealous support from the community.

This would increase the lifespan of units by extending support beyond Boox support timelines, allowing the community to develop new distros or ROMS.

1 Like

What is the current status of this?

1 Like

requirements and best current practice of providing corresponding source code for GPL licensed executable code:

unfortunately, there hasn’t been a reply from any Onyx representative about this for almost 2 years on this thread

it’s just one more disappointment in having spent all that money on a device that is ultimately unsafe to be used for anything more than a PDF/ebook reader, never connecting it to any network.

1 Like

Me too, always have the wifi turned off. Anyway I do not know how safe it is… It could be on anyway and you may not know.

From the beginning though I thought it would be easier to put another linux os in it :confused: