Questions about the Note app

Hi. I have the Max, and I wanted to check if the Note app on the Max2 was improved. (I guess neoreader2)

I would like to be able to annotate PDFs, and the problem I have with the Max is that in order to get the annotations back to my computer, I have to first export the pdf, then it is saved in a new file, so I have to find that file and replace my original with the modified file. Especially with Dropbox it is very hard to find where the file is saved, because dropbox puts it in some hidden temporary folder.

So, I’d like to know if:

1. Is it now possible to specify the filename and/or location for the exported PDF?
  2. Does the note app interact well with dropbox, so that you can open a PDF from dropbox with the Note app, and then save back to dropbox?
  3. Maybe it is possible to just have the annotations saved on the original file? Maybe even without needing to export them?

Thanks!

As I know, currently it is impossible to specify the location for the exported PDF. But can specify the filename.
And it is impossible to open a PDF directly from dropbox with the note app. Because it is hard to know,in which folder dropbox will put the file.
You can just have annotations on the original file,there is no need to export them.

“You can just have annotations on the original file,there is no need to export them.”

Interesting. On my Max, when I annotate a PDF file, and then transfer the file to my computer, or open it in another PDF reader, I can’t see the annotations. They only appear when I export the file. They might even be stored in a separate file, I’m not sure.

Is it different on the Max2? Are the annotation available immediately in the PDF?

Hi, it’s not different on the Max 2, you could just have annotations on the origianl file, but if you transfer the file to computer, you could not see the annotations.

Thank you very much for your answer.

For me what is important is the shortest path on the following:
I have a new PDF file on my computer. I want to read it, annotate it, and get the annotations back to my computer.

For example, on my samsung note 10.1, I only have to do this:

1. I put the file on my dropbox folder (1 action)
  2. The folder is synched automatically with a folder on my tablet.
  3. I have to open the file on my tablet - so I have to navigate to the folder with a file explorer, open it. (2 actions- open app, click on file)
  4. The file is opened with Xodo. I read and write on it with a pen directly. (0 actions, pen writes directly on pdf)
  5. The file is automatically synced back to my computer, to the same file I had.

Total: 3 actions.
(The Sony DPT-RP1 even manages just 2, because the file directly appears in the explorer, so one doesn’t need to open a separate app.)

On the Onyx Max, best I could do is (I’m using Dropsync, and a file explorer, open from file explorer to Neoreader2)

1. I put the file on my dropbox folder (1 action)
  2. The folder is synched automatically with a folder on my tablet.
  3. I have to open the file on my tablet - so I have to navigate to the folder with a file explorer, open it. (2 actions- open app, click on file)
  4. The file is opened with Neoreader2. I read it. To annotate, I have to click a few buttons. (1 action)
  5. I have to export the file to PDF. (1 actions)
  6. The file is automatically synced back to my computer, to the same directory, but in a subdirectory and with a different file name.
  7. Copy the file over the original, delete directory. (1 action)

Total: 6 actions.

Anything that can be done to make this path shorter/simpler, would be good.

So, for example, if I would have the option save back on the original file, instead of exporting to a different file, would save an action, because I wouldn’t need to copy the file back over the original on my computer.

If Xodo reader would work, that would enable me to work just like on the Note, saving 3 action.

If one could directly annotate with the pen without clicking any buttons, that would save an action.

@ghostwheel: you said it perfectly! A big eink Screen is perfect for real PDF editing. For working with documents there is no way around PDF annotations. So to work with the original document and make annotations on them is key.

I have to simply edit files on several devices and let them sync automatically via dropsync for example. And just open that document, annotate it and save it with the PDF reader.

I hope they see your post and add this feature in the future, or just support Xodo, that would be awesome!