Root access required

I’m loving my Note Pro but, wince, the software could be so much better. I really want to help out and create something a bit different for this device and I think we all recognise that it’s unreasonable to expect Onyx to fulfill all of our wishes when they are a hardware manufacturer and not a software company.

From my experimentation, I’ve discovered that the hardware at a Linux level is almost identical to the reMarkable although the Note Pro has more RAM and faster CPU ! This means that it will be possible to do all the lovely things that they do like pencil like shading, pen tilting etc. I can already directly access the Wacom I2C hardware directly to get this but the framebuffer (required for zero latency updates) requires root.

With the next firmware, can we get an unlockable bootloader so we can install a custom bootloader and root the device or reflash the OS ? I realise that most people aren’t going to need this but it might help kickstart an ecosystem for these very promising devices.

1 Like

Hi, @azw409, you might want to try out the following link https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294225
if we can get to a stage where we have a good ecosystem for these devices, it would be great.
Because it does’t seem like Boox is interested in doing this anytime soon.