Share your thoughts on the new firmware V2.1.1

Bump

Sorry for missing this. We are keep checking with our relative colleagues, and we will keep you updated.

Hello, could you kindly tell us the firmware version for your device before checking update?

I have the same problem. The language is English, the device is Note. Current firmware is 2.0.1.
Ota update available only if I choose Chinese language, but date of that firmware is 27.03.

Sorry, I’ve already installed the update by downloading and applying locally.
The previous version was 2.0.1 (I cannot tell the exact build number by now). I’ve always installed the latest firmware (so far worked over the air, except the first update (1.8.3 back in 2018 march)).

I also didn’t get an OTA update, so I just downloaded manually.

First impressions are pretty good, very happy about direct note taking.
The new sharpness / contrast help quite a bit on my scanned textbooks.
I’m glad you finally ditched the multi-tab icon in favor of a single interface for tabs and options.
Also there’s (new I think?) back and forth buttons between two pages super handy.

Now for the difficult points,
-With direct note, is there any way I can still highlight small words with the pen instead of touch?
It’s too hard to highlight with a big finger sometimes, I wish I could use the pen button for this
Could we have the option to remap the pen button to toggle “disable pen note” instead of eraser?

-Speaking about highlight, I usually only select words to look up in dictionary / translation app
Now every time I select a sentence it stays highlighted, and I have to manually click the TRASH button
Can you disable the highlight after user click any COPY/SEARCH/TTS buttons? (no highlight intention)
This is super critical please I select words all the time for translations T_T

-Also while I can use the COPY feature to share it with my translation app, native dictionary doesn’t work
It seems the dictionary only opens when user single click a word, but this doesn’t work for korean language
Only one character is selected, so I’d like to be able to select the whole word and see the dictionary as before

-For navigation could you bring back the swipe to turn pages?
Left and right hotspots are okay, but sometimes it’s faster to swipe when my finger is already
(It seems pinch zoom doesn’t work either, although I rarely use it)

Hi @QuestionMark
I agree about floating navigation ball. But, I miss the Home option.
In some apps (i.e.:Dropbox) you use to go forward several times (in this case in the folder tree) but, how to go (to Home) directly out?
You have to press the hardware button several times to go back all way down to the start. Then next press bring you Home.

Yes!:ok_hand:

allowing users to add HOME and apps is an excellent idea !

Thank you for your feedback. At the same time, we will forward this to our relative colleagues to follow up.

Hello Lemo, thank you for your feedback to us.
With direct note, is there any way I can still highlight small words with the pen instead of touch?
It is not available, and you could use the pen to highlight when you have exit the direct mode by clicking the “Pen Disable”.
Could we have the option to remap the pen button to toggle “disable pen note” instead of eraser?
It will be available when you are in the scribble mode.
Speaking about highlight, I usually only select words to look up in dictionary / translation app
Now every time I select a sentence it stays highlighted, and I have to manually click the TRASH button
Can you disable the highlight after user click any COPY/SEARCH/TTS buttons? (no highlight intention)
This highlight bug has been submitted to our relative colleagues and hope it will be fixed in the near future.

Last, for the dictionary and navigation problem, we will pass these to our relative colleagues to follow up.

I received a brief private message that Onyx will not release this new 2.1.1 firmware for the Boox Note Lite in English.
(which is very disappointing since it is a current model identical in hardware except for the note-taking pen feature)

They suggested though that I could change the language to Chinese, and then do an OTA update, which would probably give me 2.1.1
In Chinese in assume.

So after that I guess I could change the language back to English again, if I can find my way through the Chinese interface…

Before I try that:
Have other forum members performed a similar action, and is it safe, or are there drawbacks/risks I should know about?

T.I.A.!

I did that with my Nova Pro before the international version of the 2.1.1 firmware was released. No problems at all.

If you are worried about changing the language back after the update, you could always use some other device to take pictures beforehand of the screens you will be navigating between to see their layout. You could probably even use an online ocr program to translate photos of the screen from Chinese to English if you somehow got stuck after making the change.

1 Like

There seems to be a bug with the new 2.1.1 firmware on the regular Note. Every time I try to take a screenshot using the Navigation Ball app, the app crashes.

The screenshot function with the Navigation Ball works perfectly on both my Note Pro and my Nova Pro. Not sure why it isn’t working on the regular Note. It would be really helpful to get this fixed. Thanks.

A definate improvement. However, the AI for converting English handwriting into text is not complete to my mind. It can’t read my “joined-up” writing. That would not be a problem if there was a way to teach it to read more accurately. I think that is missing. Handwriting to text wold be a very powerful feature for a sizeable percentage of the population if you can get this right.

The navigation ball is an excellent addition. Well done!

Thanks QuestionMark!
I’ll give it a shot soon.
Still it’s a pity that Onyx let’s it’s customers jumping hoops like this instead of providing English firmware for the whole current ‘Note’ range.

update:
I think I succeeded. But the version info looks cryptic: 2019-03-19_15-22_2.1_4c8ffe0
So there is no literal “2.1.1” in it.
Also the date seems a month older than what I would expect.

So am I up to date now, or am I still a fw behind?

It’s mostly a great update. I like the navigation ball and Neo Reader 3.0.

I do have a couple of issues on the Note Pro:

• Please consider optimizing for the Kindle app. Page turning has a distracting halfway frame regardless of any Animation Filter value. This does not present in online videos of pre-firmware 2.0 and appears to be a new issue.

• Please consider adding the sidebar locations ( Apps, etc ) as options for the navigation ball destination options and changing the double-click function.

• I apparently have an issue with my Note Pro with some fundamental mounting issue and it requires a factory reset every update. This is not an issue specific to this update, but a critical issue for me nonetheless.

Thanks!

Hi Claire, new NeoReader 3.0 is so nice!

However I hope you would support “right to left” page view option when facing page mode is activated at Format - Display setting.

it’s only “left to right” page view now.
so some books shown left and right pages to opposite side.

No question, 2.1.1 is a big improvement. I like the highligthing functions in the Neo-Reader and that in the sidenote-mode you now can scribble in the document and in the notesection at the same time.

There are just two, three things I am missing:
It would be very nice, if in the sidenot-mode you can highlight words or run the dictionary with a fingertip, like it ist possible in the normal mode. Now, if you want to look up for a word, you have to close the sidemode, turn around the device, press on the word, then switch to menu, press scribble, press sidemode and turn around the device again. That is annoying.

It’s a gut idea to have document-binded notes. But sometimes it would be nice to have the notes binded to the sites as it used to be. Why not let this be an option to choose.

The navigation ball is very useful. the only very important thing, that I miss, ist the possibility to add the NeoReader to a quick-button. The NeoReader doesn’t neither appear on the task switcher. To switch between an app an the NeoReader would be something very useful.

Thanx a lot on the onyx-team for keeping working on the firmware. I now use Onyx devices since 4 years and it is very nice to see the improvements of soft- and hardware.

1 Like

Hello, we have tried to use the Navigation Ball to take a screenshot on several devices and all work well without crash. Could you please try again? And if that happens again, please submit this on Feedback on your device.

Hello Claire,

the latest update brings many improvements and the graphics is better.

What I am still missing is that in the Note app, one cannot increase the number of horizontal lines beyond 20. Can you increase that to 24 and 27, or better let the user customise de number?

Also, can you add Romanian with the next update? Thank you.