Share your thoughts on the new firmware V2.1.1

Hello, thank you for your feedback first.

For the Kindle page turn problem, could you please try to uninstall the Kindle App from Play Store and try to use the one from Onyx App Store? For the navigation ball problem, we will forward this to our relative colleagues to follow up. For the update problem, could you please submit this on Feedback?

Hello, thank you for your support and kind suggestions all the time. We will forward that to our relative colleagues to follow up. But I am a little confused at the second point. Do you mean the sidenote function?

Yes I am talking about the sidenotes. Sidenote is now associated with documents instead of pages. That seems okay for most situations. But it would be great if I could choose between two modes: “associated with document” and “associated with pages”.

I like to explain the problem with an example:

I am reading a document with 120 pages. Now I start to make sidenotes at page 8 of the document. So I got further reading the document and making sidenotes. If I now go to the TOC-Menu I can enter the sidenotes directly. I can choose the last page of my sidenotes and it brings me directly to the desired note. That is useful. But unfortunately the Document jumps always to the the same page, the page which was opened, when I startet to make sidenotes. In the above example, it jumps always to page 8. So imagine you made a sidenotes reading the wohle document. you started making notes on page 8 and your last sidenote was made on page 118. Now you go to the TOC-Menu, you choose a specific sidenote you made, when you was reading page 100. The sidenotes jumps to the desired sidenote, but the document jumps to page 8. Obviously it It would be great, when the document jumps to the page which was opened when I made a spedicific sidenote (here to page 100). Or at least it would be helpful, when the document doesn‘t jump at all, so I can continue reading, where I just left the document. (This is important, because now it is not possible anymore to choose a certain page of the reading document in sidenote-mode – a lost function in the new firmware).

3 Likes

With the previous firmware, for epubs you could select exact font sizes.
E.g. 16 or 20.

But the latest firmware only has a slider that does not indicate the font size anymore.
Also it seems to have rough steps in between font sizes, and I think I can’t get the very small font sizes as I used to be able to have before.

So in regards to the epub font size reading functionality, 2.1.1 has gotten worse.

Please make finer grained and specific font size selection available for the next firmware update?

RE: Direct note taking

As I mentioned previously I like the ability to take notes directly
But now I’ve been using this for a while I noticed a few things
Palm rejection doesn’t work perfectly and a few times the page turned while writing
I believe most touch and page turn delay might have increased (possibly because of palm detection process?)
Especially visible in A2 mode which was almost instantaneous, which I sometimes use to find pages quickly

Now since this doesn’t seem to work perfectly, why not have the choice to use the pen button instead
As I suggested previously to switch between pen selection and pen writing
This way no need for palm rejection, and also possible to select small words with the stylus again…

1 Like

Agree with demian about the sidenotes and the neoReader in the navigation ball, which was discussed here:

Onyx App Store Kindle + Animation Filter set to 30 fixed my Kindle issue.
I’ll follow up with the other issue using the Feedback form.

Thanks!

I believe that this will only work until the app gets updated through the play store, as it has a newer version number than the Onyx App Store.

I did have it installed through the Onyx App Store, but it got updated and no doesn’t work well.

I am very sorry to say that I extremely dislike the new reader interface on my max2pro.

I very much enjoyed the old side by side (document on the left, scribble on the right in landscape) interface. The little popup menu in the middle was unobtrusive, crop worked and I had no problem turning pages.

Also when not scribbling I kept the touch interface turned off, so I flipped pages with the pen, which worked like a charm.

The two most problematic things are:

• I cannot turn off crop mode in the side by side scribble app: I am currently reading a document where the side by side scribble app does not display the whole page at once, so I have to tap “next page” to move to see rest of the page.
  • turning pages is very slow now.

Let me close with two things which I like about the new version:

• crop works in landscape mode (when having two pages of the document side by side)
  • scribble pages of the side by side scribble app are linked to the whole document and not to individual pages anymore.

The minimum text size on max 2 is too big. Before this new version of the reader we could choose much more options like text size by number and not just a scale with limited options.

We need an input on text size by number or a configurable slider

Hi Claire,

Thank you for your response. As the screenshot problem on my regular Note continued even after the most recent update, I used the feedback feature on the Note to report the continuing issue.

I am glad to report that the Onyx team has already gotten back to me on this. They have apparently identified the problem and will correct it in the next update… I really appreciate how Onyx is dealing with these issues so responsively. Keep up the awesome work. I’m really loving your products.

I’m really having a problem with pinch zoom in the neoreader after the update (on a boox note). I have to stretch my hand almost completely to have any kind of feedback! It was working fine 30 minutes ago before the update!

Hello, we are fixing this and we will keep you updated.

Hello, we are fixing this and we will keep you updated.

Hello, thank you for your support to us all the time. :grinning:

Correct, for real-world use sidenotes still need a lot of detailed work. Below I linked a couple of other posts on this topic.

For me personally the most problematic issue is that sidenotes have seemingly no relation to the page alongside them.
E.g. if I resize the text of an ebook, sidenotes don’t match up with the pages that were beside them originally. (Edit: on this, I notice in the release notes: 5. Sidenote now is associated with documents instead of pages. … that is not an improvement.)

2 Likes

We have forwarded this to our relative colleagues to follow up. And we will keep you updated.

Ok thank you, I clicked the wrong button.
Every single page is exported as a single PNG however. It would be much better to export one PDF. I’m think the old firmware could export PDFs right?
Especially exporting PDFs with scribbles directly on the page as PNG is very inconvenient I think?

Best regards

I have several related problems with Neoreader 3.0 using Max 2 Pro. I only just bought it, so I only had a day of experience with Neoreader 2 before updating the firmware.

1. If I edit a PDF (highlights and scribbles) then delete it, if I copy the original file without annotations anywhere to the Max 2, the PDF inherits the highlights and scribbles. This is problematic when editing a series of files that have the same name but would be stored in different directories.

2. Similarly, if I edit a PDF, the copy it to my desktop, remove some of the edits, then copy that file back to the Max 2, the PDF still shows the scribbles. The only way to remove the scribbles is in Neoreader. This means I can’t edit a file in multiple places.

3. Similarly, if there are two PDFs on the Max 2 with the same name, and I edit one, the same annotations show up in the other file, even though they are stored in separate folders.

Can anyone else confirm these results?

I can only assume that Neoreader is keeping a database somewhere with the annotations and doesn’t know to recognize when another PDF program has deleted or altered the Neoreader edits. Is there anyway to clear this database cache? I can also only assume Neoreader tracks the file partially by name, which is an enormous data-corruption risk.

All of this means it’s very difficult to trust Neoreader to edit a PDF, which is the only reason I bought it.

I would also like to chime in and say it would be enormously helpful if it were possible to launch Neoreader from another app, like Google Drive or Dropbox.

Hi, I use my boox note 10.3 for reading my textbooks. Sometimes i want to disable touch to skim the pages with my finger but it’s very inconvenient to activate the system status bar on Neo reader which make the page’s size smaller and also i have to disable touch again after switching documents. Can you add the disable touch function to the navigation ball and keep disable touch after switching documents? I’ll be very much appreciate, thank you.

1 Like