Slack app was behaving like a "tablet-sized" app on 2.1.2 and now behaves like a "smartphone-sized" app on 2.2.1

On my first note 1 still using 2.1.2 the slack app behaves like a “tablet-sized” app, which means text is rather small and there is plenty of space for the app, for example I can see at all times both the conversation area on the right and the list of channels on the left.

On my second note 1 upgraded to 2.2.1 this is no longer the case. The slack app displays rather large text and behaves like it was displaying on a very small screen, like a smartphone screen. Thus I can no longer see both conversations and channel list at the same time. I know this maybe seems like a very specific example, but it is very important for me. How do I trick the slack app into its old 2.1.2 behavior? I tried setting text size to smallest everywhere (including via the “hidden settings” android app) but could not get it right.

This is one of the reason I regret upgrading from 2.1.2 to 2.2.1 :-/

This is relatively easily fixed.
Access app optimization (e.g. via a tap on the navigation ball, and choose the optimization icon) and reduce the dpi from the default value of 350. When coming close to the “native” dpi of 207, you will have your usual size of the app.
(You can tweak the bold font / background settings, that helped me especially with the dark background óf the slack app).
Downside is: the settings are not preserved throug a reboot of the device. When you reboot, they get reverted to default, that is 350 dpi for all non system apps. I have reported this to Onyx, if it disturbs you, you could tell them , too (they prefer it via the feedback function through the settings).

Best,
Jan

3 Likes

Thanks for this brilliant fix! :heart_eyes: works perfectly.

FTR I posted some more tricks to fix apps for 2.2.2:

1 Like