The things that onyx could be improved

-The Monitor app is inconsistent. It works 80% of the time. However, 20% of the time it doesn’t work. I’ve played around with the resolution and also tried the mirroring solely in A2 mode. I’m not sure what the issue is, but since it works most of the time, the device still is okay for me. In fact, I’m using the monitor mode now!
-I wish there was a way to change the contrast when mirroring through the Monitor app. Also, there is a slight lag of the mouse when mirroring through the Monitor app.
-I wish there was a folio-style case available. It would make it easier to take outside of the house and to meetings for notetaking, especially since it is so big.
-Some apps would not work on the device like Google Docs, the Youtube app, and the CNN app. HOWEVER, you can access CNN and watch Youtube videos through a browser (I’m using Firefox) in A2 mode. Youtube through Firefox works well enough for me, but there is a bit of lag between the audio and video.
-There is no native screen rotation (except in Neoreader). HOWEVER, I was able to download an app through Android that allows me to rotate the screen through the top status bar. This works for letting me shift most screens on the device to landscape. However, there are some screens, like the Applications page that still won’t rotate.
-The device Powers off after sitting for an hour of inactivity. I wish there was a way to make this period longer.
-How do we get a new stylus? My stylus works fine for now, but I still don’t know if it will always work. If it fails, I’m unsure what stylus is compatible or where I could get another one.
-Complicated javascript and links in a web browser don’t always work (I’m using Firefox).
-It would be great to be able to mirror at some point without having two cords plugged into it! I have to be near an electrical outlet to mirror.
-I wish the Home screen could be the Apps page, but I do like that you can put some of your commonly used apps at the bottom of the Home screen
-It would be great to have some security options for the device.
-The company is not well-established, so if the device stops working after the 30-day return period, then it’ll be tough luck for me.

The documentation for the device is not comprehensive. I’m figuring out new things the device can do day by day. Still, there are some things about the device that I’m still unsure about.
-My stylus isn’t pressure sensitive? I thought it was supposed to be, and I can’t find a software update to make it sensitive. I can manually change the line thickness in the Notetaking app, but I still don’t know how to do the automatic pressure sensitivity.
-I’m still unsure about exporting documents. I pressed the button, but I don’t know what the button is doing. I wish I could more easily transfer documents off the machine.
-I’m still unsure about how to backup data.
Battery life: for an e-ink device, and I have Kobo, Kindle to compare. If I use the apps such as WebEx, inbox, chrome browser over WiFi, the drain is significant and perhaps lasts about 5 hours at most.

Response: Sluggish to state it objectively. And it’s expected, it’s an e-ink screen, it’s going to be slow. But, I’m talking at the lag between touching an app icon or the status bar to the action taking place. Slow!! Sometimes I have to touch the icon(s) more than once. This is very similar to the many videos out there where the demo units responses were not stellar

On/off button: could have been part of the bottom bezel that has so much wasted realestate. The fact that it’s it the bottom edge of the device next to the charging port… ruins it for me.

USB: micro. It’s 2018, forward thinking products would have incorporated USB C

Casing, lots of bezel, not a plus finish. These would certainly make the device far more attractive. It’s 800 USD people. These are things that we expect of a high price device. These maybe considered short comings for many of you and not merit any weightsge for a reduxted rating, but for me… user experience is inclusive of hardware, look and feel and the software(s) that make the device usable. Not impressed at all.

Why am I returning g it?
I wanted this to be my daily driver. Honestly, the idea behind it is fantastic. I would have happily stopped using my Samsung Galaxy S8+ for all of the above daily drivers. E-ink is a fantastic value proposition for folks that read a lot or in front of a screen 9 to 12 hours a day. @ 800 USD price tag, who is this for? If just for PDFs or ebooks… then go for it. If you truly want to use it as a workhorse and take advantage of the amazing e-ink screen… Is wait for the price to drop to perhaps 450-500 at Max. Or, wait for the manufacturer to make significant changes to the firmware that address my pointa above at a minimum and probably has to give more. Just because it runs in android 6 doesn’t mean it’s great! It needs to be able to deliver my needs. And my needs may not be the same as yours. Therefore for 800 USD, it doesn’t.

what app did you find for the screen rotation? that is a big annoyance for me.

you can disable the auto-power off entirely. I ended up doing that on my device (and frankly, beyond an hour, you probably can just disable it anyway). but yes, it would be nice to have an ‘other’ box that let you enter a value for all the timeouts

as far as a new stylus goes, my understanding is that this is wacom compatible, so any wacom stylus should work.

I agree on the desire to be able to do more with the home screen. I find I’m only able to put one app on it (if I select a second one it replaces the first one)

I also agree about security, this is an expensive device and if it’s used a lot it will contain private info. Having ownership info show up on the lock screen would be really good

as far as the bezel size goes, the fact that the touchscreen cannot be disabled means that I find the bezel too small. It’s hard to hold in one hand and have a solid hold without triggering the touchscreen (part of the reason I really want a folio case)

1 Like

Cross posting from the MobileRead site around my concerns/suggestions with my Max2

Just received my Max 2 from Amazon, well boxed, powered up OK on arrival. Have updated the firmware via the download from www.boox.com to V1.8.3 (20180129)

(As an FYI, if you buy on amazon.co.uk right now there is a promotion option where you not only get the aluminium stand for free, buying with Prime, the discount knocks another £13.20 off the Max price)

Been reading the posts, multiple and various and my issues are pretty similar to everyone else’s.

The Security lock issue really HAS to be fixed as neither through the ADB path or the Android settings APK path for password setting stick on the Max. Whilst for some individuals this may not seem an issue, it means that enterprise take up of the Max will be stymied and the potential loss of intellectual property or personal data is unacceptable in this day and age.

Then there is the problem that you can’t have any app stay resident after a reboot. So for example, download a lock screen app, to work around the security issue, won’t fire up automatically on reboot. Install an app to make it resident, the Max Android implementation over rides it so the kludge for security won’t load on boot and it has to be manually started, so…no effective security

One Note, the application writing latency and stability makes, for me, the use of One Note wholly unusable.

The whole Android experience is badly implemented, the “Settings” page is a perfect example. This is a reasonably well specced Android tablet, no need to cripple it. Make it as plain vanilla an install as practical with the EPD experience front and centre.

The AP6212 Wi-Fi chip only supports 2,4Ghz and only one antenna not MIMO so max bandwidth of 72Mb/s. Two antenna’s and 5Ghz channel would future proof the device.

Additionally it natively supports FM radio, would be nice to have it enabled on the device.

The Rockchip 3288 SoC that runs the Max 2 supports USB OTG but that APPEARS to be disabled in the Max 2…useful, useable, not sure why it has been disabled

Ditto, as seen on various of the Chromebooks the 3288 powers, HDMI output to (not AS) an external monitor works, would really like to see this in the Max2

Sensors…At the least this needs to be sufficient so that screen rotation is automatic, GPS would be nice but not essential. I also have to use the “Rotation Control” app for work around this matter

The HDMI out was one of the reasons I bought the Max, it would be equally useful for it to be so that the Max can do HDMI in so it can drive an external monitor. The on-board video chip should be able to handle it and the Max then could become a very effective standby computer, display driver etc.

Remapping of the physical keys should be available.

As an example, using many Android apps by default masks the top screen space (with the home button) so the only way to exit the app is the repeatedly press the return key. Have the apps NOT be full screen by default. Also if the app is set to not full screen, if it you open something inside, One Note is an example, open a page from inside the app, the new screen is full screen with no way to set it to not be full screen. Having the hardware keys either be manually remappable or context remapped so for example the left “Menu” button becomes the Home button would be useful.

Screen resolution seems out of kilter in some places. The device is a 2200 x 1650 + 207 PPI yet the “Application” screen icons are oversized and look more like you would expect from a 1024 x 768 display. It may be an app issue but I haven’t seen the same sort of issue with my Yotaphone 2 which seems to handle resizing somewhat better.

There is so much potential here that is being blocked for no readily apparent reason.

2 Likes

one other annoyance, If I turn off wifi and then put the device to sleep, when I wake it up, wifi turns on again automatically.

If I turn wifi off, it should stay off until I turn it on again

a note on wifi, 2.4G has so few channels and is so congested that trying to do mimo on it is a waste of time

I’ve been in a few places where they have not deployed 2.4G has not been deployed and only 5G wifi is available (on the false thinking that it’s not possible to deploy well performing 2.4Ghz wifi at scale)

icon scales are not app issues, my pixel2xl gives me 5 sizes of icons that I can use on the app screen.

Dear, thank you for your kind suggestion, I’ll pass it to our R&D team.

When I turn off the device, the A2 mode is reset. It would be useful to keep the last user setting.

I totally agree. Using OneNote on a Max2 is the reason I purchased Max2. I was so disappointed with the latency I experienced. I hope this can be resolved.

1 Like

Hello,
it’s the same on the Onyx Note. :o(
I love my new Onyx Note, if you manage to improve this latency in the OneNote App - this would make this device unbeatable!

thank you and keep up your good work!
Mike

Dears, thank you for your kind suggestion, I have forward it to our R&D, they are working on it, please stay tuned. Thank you.

I agree and they have been promising security for months. It is a shame that this device has no way to lock it. You essentially have a $800 piece of paper. I think I can work around some of the other issues but a way to lock the device is essential to getting it to really work.