When will you release an update to Android 9.0?

Our R&D department is working on updating those devices with Android 6.0 to Android 9.0 now. Please be patient.

3 Likes

Please make enough testing to be sure the performance doesn’t suffer
Every time my older android devices were updated to newer version it didn’t run as well
Anyway I think Android 6.0 is just fine for basic use as e-reader

What are the highlights of Android 9? Will it have better battery life, better performance or some special features that aren’t present in Android 6? What will the update mean in actual visible terms besides the OS number jump?

Android 9 has better security settings, a more intelligent battery manager and a better abstraction between kernel, drivers and vendors. In short: Android 9 is more secure, has a better battery management and delivers a platform that allows Onyx create faster and more stable firmware releases. Also Android 9 ist the second latest Android release and will have a longer EOL.

From a user view you won’t notice so much difference. The notification bar is slightly different but due to the same launcher that’s almost the only noticeable change. For Onyx on the other side this will have a great impact in development. All current devices will run on a similar platform. This will made software development easier and all devices should have the same bugs and features when having the same firmware version.

Android 6 is still widely support and there is no hurry, but Android 9 is an important upgrade. For Onyx and for users.

Thanks.

How about split screen for all apps in Android 9?

I remember having read something about that, which would be a major improvement.

2 Likes

Well, I have the response about Note:

1 Like

We are in mid january, do you have any new info?

I’ve just bought a Nova Pro and am now concerned that I should return it and wait for the next iteration. It’s very important to me that the device receive 9.0 — though I am perfectly fine with waiting, so long as it is coming. Is this update guaranteed?

Getting Android 9.0 is very critical - I have been using Note P for corporate emails and a few months back support for pre Android 9.0 was withdrawn due to security issues. Please release Android 9.0 for me to be able to use the device.

Hi,
any update? bumping up for visibility ??

Our R&D team are still working on it. Please be patient.

1 Like

Please ensure that the pending bugs are fixed before releasing the Android 9 version!

Good evening. I finally fell for a Boox Note Pro reader mainly to comfortably read pdf documents and insert handwritten notes, for example with Assimil’s exercise books in Chinese in Japanese. I am far from having explored all of its functions. The device works very well with Assimil’s Mantano applications (English, Greek, Japanese and Chinese). I hope that the update to Android 9 will soon be effective for my device. The current global health crisis should not simplify the work of the developers of Onyx Boox even if teleworking is still possible. So I will wait. Courage! :slight_smile:

PS - I am astonished that e-readers operating on Android are not better known in France. I was very loyal to Kobo for a long time, but since I began to learn Greek, I had to find a solution to make up for the lack of a Greek-French dictionary. I thought of Google Translate which is doing its job better and better. But for that, I had to find a reader running Android. It was like this, “thread by needle” (in French : “de fil en aiguille”), that I ended up opting for a Boox reading light. I couldn’t go back now. I am no longer a prisoner of an ecosystem (Kobo, Kindle etc.) and I can continue to use Android applications without ruining my eyes. Black and white allows better concentration. I also read a lot of articles found on the net on my e-reader, via the Pocket application.

3 Likes

Yes, this would be really useful, and I think this function exists (but hidden) in Android 6, too.
Actually I only would like to have the possibility to use Note App with other apps,overall for study purposes… I hope this feature will be implemented in the future! :slight_smile: (but I tried a Note 2 with Android 9 and it’s not available)
ciao, v.

I have the plain Nova - not the Pro. I, too, hope that Android 9.0 will be available for my Nova soon. One app that I use with the Nova - one of the main reasons I purchased a Nova in the first place - has just raised its minimum Android version to 6.0 in the last update.

I am very satisfied with my Nova and have no need to buy another device now. I also do not want to buy a new Onyx device every time I need to upgrade my Android version!

That said, I wonder if the snag on Onyx’s end is not the upgrade to 9.0 itself, but how to do it successfully and reliably with a simple OTA update.

1 Like

They are not going to upgrade anything.

At this point they are doing the same that they did during years to every single device, promise an upgrade to sell the products, then promise new deadlines after failing the first ones, in the meanwhile release new products and then dead silent about those old upgrades not answering ever again to the customers.

90% that android 9 will never be available to older devices.

Yes, that has been the Boox way before. I have bought other Boox products. But this is their last chance, as far as I’m concerned. No upgrade this time, and I’ll choose a device with a much longer shelf life the next time I buy one.

1 Like

+1 - Nowadays cars are upgradable by OTA (Tesla rulez) and a simple ebook tablet isn’t: sorry my friends but they are kidding us.

Bonsoir. Les fabricants de liseuses fonctionnant sous Android ne sont pas nombreux : Likebook, Energy Sistem, inkBOOK, Krüger& Matz et Onyx. Certaines fonctionnent sous Android 4 (Energy Sistem par exemple), les plus récentes et performantes (Likebook et Onyx), sous Android 6 (liseuses Likebook et la plupart des liseuses Boox) voire 9 (Boox Note 2 et Boox Max 3). Likebook promet une mise à jour de ses liseuses vers Android 8 courant mars. On y arrive. Je vais avoir l’occasion de le vérifier car j’ai une liseuse Likebook Mars. Je ne manquerai pas de vous en tenir informé(e)s. J’ai depuis peu une Boox Note Pro. Je trouve son interface mieux pensée que celle du Likebook Mars même après la mise à jour récente du Likebook Mars. Ayant besoin de prendre des notes sur des documents pdf, j’ai longtemps hésité entre la liseuse Likebook Ares et sa concurrente Onyx Boox Nova Pro. Finalement, j’ai opté pour sa grande soeur, la Boox Note Pro et je ne regrette absoluement pas mon choix. Si Likebook met à jour ses liseuses vers Android 8, il se peut que chez Onyx Boox cela crée une émulation et qu’au moins les liseuses Boox Max 2, Note Pro et Nova Pro soient mises à jour vers Android 9. Likebook, en optant pour Android 8, prendrait moins de risque qu’Onyx Boox ? Ce n’est pas tout de mettre à jour vers une version plus performante d’Android, il faut que le matériel (hardware) suive (bon processeur, suffisament de mémoire vive etc.). Que ce soit pour Likebook ou Onyx Boox, l’intérêt de mettre à jour les liseuses qui matériellement peuvent supporter une mise à jour vers Android 8 ou 9, c’est de simplifier le travail des développeurs. Nous seront fixés bientôt :slight_smile:

Good evening. There are not many manufacturers of reading lights running Android: Likebook, Energy Sistem, inkBOOK, Krüger & Matz and Onyx. Some run on Android 4 (Energy Sistem for example), the most recent and efficient (Likebook and Onyx), on Android 6 (Likebook readers and most Boox readers) or even 9 (Boox Note 2 and Boox Max 3). Likebook promises to update its readers to Android 8 in March. You get there. I will have the opportunity to check it because I have a Likebook Mars reader. I will not fail to keep you informed. I recently had a Boox Note Pro. I find its interface better thought than that of Likebook Mars even after the recent update of Likebook Mars. Needing to take notes on pdf documents, I hesitated for a long time between the Likebook Ares reader and its competitor Onyx Boox Nova Pro. Finally, I opted for its big sister, the Boox Note Pro and I absolutely do not regret my choice. If Likebook updates its reading lights to Android 8, it may be that at Onyx Boox this creates emulation and that at least the reading lights Boox Max 2, Note Pro and Nova Pro are updated to Android 9. Likebook, by choosing for Android 8, take less risk than Onyx Boox? It is not enough to update to a more efficient version of Android, the hardware must follow (good processor, enough RAM, etc.). Whether for Likebook or Onyx Boox, the advantage of updating the e-readers that materially can support an update to Android 8 or 9 is to simplify the work of developers. We will be fixed soon: slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually bought the Nova Pro over the Likebook Muses/Ares specifically because of the advertising copy which claimed it would be upgraded to Android 9. I’m going to be pretty sad if the above claims are true :frowning:

1 Like