When will you release an update to Android 9.0?

If reMarkable would’ve had a 13" reader I would’ve gotten that. Instead, I went for the Onyx Boox Max 3, which, hardware-wise, could be a great product. Unfortunately, on the software side, it’s got enough little issues that I kind of regret it now, given the slow-as-molasses update rate we’re seeing. I tried to contact one of the developers using their GitHub email address to see if they’d be more communicative, but all I got was silence.

1 Like

I bought the max 3 too. Regret and regret. My old Sony was so much better. Bought the remarkable 2. Hopefully that will do what I need.

1 Like

The remarkable 2 looks good but the 10.3" screen is larger than the 7.8" sweet spot for me. It is surprising to me that Boox does not have an unlocked bootloader. They are the only ones with an official SDK that I could find.

I wonder how much hacking potential is there on android? It seems there is potential for root access using something like kingroot. With root access, it’s possible more progress can be made without waiting for any cooperation.

1 Like

Which Sony?

Could you please tell me more about it?

I sold it because my coursework was done. Ow that I’m writing my dissertation, I miss it.

Hi. Any news for the update to Android 9.0 ? I’ve got an Onyx Boox note pro bought in march. Many thanks in advance

1 Like

I read somewhere that it will be released with the next update 2.4

Any chances Android 9 will still come? Any possible date?

1 Like

Any news about the next update with Android 9.0 ?

1 Like

Firmware 2.3 is out for Note. Is that still Android 6 or did they update to Android 9?
https://www.boox.com/downloads/#note-series
In the 2.2.2, they said that Android 9 is temporarily not available for Note, but 2.3 doesn’t say anything. Can anyone confirm the Android version one way or another?
I’m on 2.1.2 and it’s been super stable, so I’d rather not update unless it’s for Android 9.

Firmware 2.3 is still Android 6 on Nova, only the new Nova 2 has Android 9 factory-installed.

Nothing was announced about an update to Android 9 with firmware 2.3, so I assume it’s the same for all the other models running Android 6.

It’s not going to be. Now that they launched nova2 if you want android 9 you must buy that model.
This is what will happen almost sure.

Any update on this for the Note Pro? This is taking way too long!

Hi, we’re being patient. Where is the Android 9 update promised over a year ago ?

1 Like

Again, sorry guys but onyx frequently lie about updates. If you want Android 9 then buy a new device. I don’t trust in others brands.

I think remarkable is a good option without Android.

I think they are angling to upgrade directly to Android 15. Unfortunately Google hasn’t released it yet…

La mise à jour vers Android 9 des Note Pro et Nova Pro se profile. Onyx Boox en est à “l’open beta testing”.
Open Beta Testing for Android 9.0 Flash (Available to Note Pro & Nova Pro)
Hi Note Pro & Nova Pro users,

Open Beta Test for Android 9.0 Flashing begins!

We would like to collect general feedback, bug reports and feature request directly from you.

After the closed beta testing, the flashed version here is much more stable and less likely to include major bugs. Before the final release, we could like to invite some volunteers who own Note pro/Nova pro to testing the system upgrade.

How to join the beta test?

**Step1: check the flash tutorial & download the flash package : here (Disabled link. Please visit the Facebook group to access it. See URL to this group below.)

Step2: If any question during the process of flashing, or bug report, please send feedback via Setting>Feedback on your device. Once receiving your feedback, our dev team will try to find the problem, upgrade the software and give a solution, and you will get a reply within 48 hours.

We hope this update helped to improve user experience of Nova pro & Note Pro, and we couldn’t do it without you. Thanks for your support & Let’s make a better year in 2021!

Source : facebook Boox fans group

C’est une excellente nouvelle ! Beaucoup de clients désespéraient d’obtenir un jour cette mise à jour. Onyx Boox va finalement très probablement tenir sa parole. J’ai une note pro. La mise à jour définitive vers Android 9 est programmée pour quand ? La procédure sera-t-telle la même ou se fera-t-elle comme les autres mises à jour via un téléchargement direct dans la liseuse ?

Hm, and is there no news about Note (not Pro)? :frowning:

Hello. News about the android 9 update for Nova pro 7.8? What about the beta testing? When will the update be put on the air for all devices? Thanks…

1 Like

Hello everybody. It’s always a pleasure to read you. While digging through the Onyx Boox FB page, I found this link to an update to Android 9 of the Note pro and Nova pro, in flash mode and at our own risk. This appears to be a successful update and not a beta version with inevitable bugs. It’s strange that Onyx Boox isn’t communicating more about this important update. I have just successfully updated my Note pro to firmware 3.1 and I would be tempted to update my Note pro e-reader (currently running Android 6) to Android 9. Has anyone tried this yet. adventure? With success ? With what difficulties? A big thank you in advance for your responses. I can not put the link. Onyx Boox specifies in fact: “(…) Please do not distribute or download the flashing guide and package on any platform. BOOX official is not responsible for any product malfunction caused by unauthorized flashing.” but I think you will find it quite easily via a search on Facebook or elsewhere!

I downloaded the software for the upgrade from Android 6 to Android 9 as well as a tutorial, all specific to my Onyx Boox Note pro e-reader. It seems more complex to me than with the Likebook Mars (Boyue) e-reader. Except bad reading on my part, it is not specified in this tutorial whether to insert a needle in the “reset” hole before connecting the usb cable. This “reset” hole is present near the usb port. A video of the builder would be welcome. Boyue had the good idea to provide one to guide us during the system update of the Likebook Mars. I have a feeling that Onyx Boox is doing everything to dissuade us from updating the system.
I am carefully rereading the update guide. I ask you the following questions:
1 / Should the uncompressed “Updater.rar” folder be placed in the root folder of the pc or does it matter little?
2 / In step 11 it is mentioned: “Ensure your BOOX is power-off. Press and hold Back button, then connect it to the Windows 10 PC with an original USB cable to enter Flashing mode.” Is the “back button” the small hole located just next to the mini usb port? When we say: “Press and hold Back button”, it is in fact necessary to insert in this hole a “needle” of reset and to maintain it ”? that I made with our March Likebook (Boyue).