Wishes for the next firmware update

My wish is for a developer to respond to this thread:

I wish Onyx would comply with the GPL. I wish Onyx would open the bootloader of the tablet so that we can install Linux or other ROMs. I wish we (the users) had the freedom to install our own software on a tablet that we purchased. :frowning:

2 Likes

Hello, we are sorry to inform you that it is not available now. We apologize for any inconvenience that may cause.

What does that mean? Is there even a reason?

It means that they are deliberately (and repeatedly) choosing NOT to comply with the licenses of the software they are using. We have been asking for the legally required code for over a year now.

Unfortunately it seems apparent that it is going to require a lawsuit to get their attention.

1 Like

I want to remain of hand-writing notes in PDF files, so I read with my note on the PC, etc. But now your software makes the note out of pdfs. It’s incomfortant.

1 Like

It’s not just onyx. Small Chinese companies are notorious for ignoring the GPL and even large companies like Xiaomi drag their feet in complying. They generally get away with it because: 1. the inscrutability of their legal system, 2. there’s no one willing to foot the bill of chasing down every little vendor who’s using Android without providing kernel sources. In any case, I don’t like throwing around the “lawsuit” word and I wish you wouldn’t do that @dlang

I’m genuinely trying to understand. They’ve built a business around open source software and they’re not playing by the rules that other established businesses are who use GPL code. Why? Surely there is an answer.

@claire “It is not available now” is not an answer. It’s saying “we won’t do it and won’t tell you why”. All I want to know is why.

It’s like buying a computer and not being able to upgrade windows or install linux. No one would stand for that, so why do we have to stand for Android 6.0.1 with SELinux disabled and tons of unpatched security holes?

The developers don’t respond to issues on their github page. Don’t you understand that by embracing the developer community, it will make your product better?

I don’t get it.

2 Likes

For everyone else, realize that the version of Android that ships with the Boox Note and Max are old and full of security holes. There’s no way that you can install a secure version of Android because Onyx is not permitting us to install our own OS / our own Android builds.

This is a pretty big problem for an internet-connected and everyone on this forum should be asking about it.

2 Likes

I would dearly wish a two-tier book selection list - a vertical list of authors on the left, with a vertical list of books from this author on the right.

Currently I’m looking at 191 pages of books, and I can’t browse easily.

author00 book01
author01 book02
author02 book03
author03 book04
** author04 book05
author05 book06
author06 book07
author07 book08
author08 book09
author09 book10

where book1 - book10 are all written by author04. And I’d dearly love - and+ buttons below the screen - swiping often opens a book instead of swiping, and the page slider just doesn’t cut it with 191 pages.

Then, to make it perfect, make an option to make the display compact. I’m not that interested in the author/filetype/file size on a different line, since that means I can get only 9 books in total on my 10" screen per page - lots of space wasted, lots of extra pages.

Also, I would like to be able to view and enter the font size as a number. Pinching on the screen is inaccurate, and the slider seems to stop at a larger font than what I want.

2 Likes

I would love to see better shading, so I can draw with the feel of a pencil, like reMarkable. I believe the hardware should be able to handle it.

1 Like

I would like to be able to switch between apps/notes/books easily (two steps tops) and always find them in the exact state where I left them (much like android in a smartphone).
Actually, I can’t believe something like this is not there yet, such a bummer. :confused:

1 Like

1.) Ability to roll back to previous firmware.
2.) Posting of previous firmwares on site.
#1 & 2 I feel are of utmost importance. In the event a certain firmware upgrade, along with great improvements, has deficits which immediately effect ones use case negatively… the ability to quickly roll back (so as not to negatively impact that use case substancially and immediately), to an earlier firmware version, would be extremely welcome!

3.) Better battery performance, new version is tearing thru battery at a healthy clip, previous version lasted significantly longer. (#1 & #2 desirable in certain use cases, )
4.) FIX PINCH TO ZOOM
5.) Drop down menu to “Open With” to be available in “Recent reading” rather than only in “Library” - With pinch to zoom now no longer working correctly, I must open certain pdfs in another app. The pdf right at the top of “Recent reading” (conveniently located!) I now must drill down thru the library to find it and then the drop down offers “Open With”.

(PS. Thank you User_Y for thinking to create this topic. I too hope ONYX will take the issues here into consideration when moving forward with the next version)

2 Likes

@rjfrisby,

+1 on this request to make it easy and to keep the older firmware available for download.

I downgraded from 2.0 to 1.9.1 by placing the older firmware file onto the device and running the update because the newer software broke a bunch of things for me. I think I should have also done a factory reset afterward to make everything work, but it was generally successful. I’m now running 2.1, but I still like some elements of 1.9.1 better.

Hi all, thank you for your kind suggestions. We will take them seriously.

So when will the new update be announced? Having a functioning current firmware would be helpful in my everyday life…

Hello, our relative colleagues are keep working. It will be released in one month. Hope you could understand that.

This is a bit technical, but here goes:

At the moment, the Raw Drawing mode (fast drawing with pen) is limited to black lines. This makes developing a drawing application quite limited, as there isn’t a way of taking into account pressure sensitivity and grayscale tone. Could this be expanded to include tone and textures with transparency? That would take drawing capabilities to the level of reMarkable, at least in theory.

Hello Andrey, do you mean the request for more grayscale and pressure sensitivity in Note App?

Hello Boox,

I need the pdf annotation to be readable on all pdf reader like Okular, Evince.
I am a linux user and I need to use ghostscript each time when I want to produce a readable PDF.
Thanks for your work.

1 Like