Email app on Max2 experience

I recently set up my gmail account on the native mail app on my Max2. I ran into some issues that I thought I would share but eventually figured it out. I added my gmail account and when it set up the account it seemed like all was well as I started to receive emails to the account. However when I tried sending an email they were stuck in the outbox. I tried several different settings for the outgoing server but nothing worked until I checked the box requiring sign-in. When I entered my username and password I automatically received an email on my iphone about an intrusion to my account from a less secure app. After looking into it I discovered this from Google…

Let less secure apps access your account
If you’re an administrator, learn how to control access to less secure apps.

If an app or device doesn’t meet our security standards, Google will block anyone who tries to sign in from that app or device. Because these apps and devices are easier to break into, blocking them helps keep your account safe.

Some examples of apps that do not support the latest security standards include:

The Mail app on your iPhone or iPad with version 6 or below
The Mail app on your Windows phone preceding the 8.1 release
Some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird

After discovering this I had to go through my settings and found these windows…

I allowed the less secure app (Mail app on the Max2) and the emails in my outbox were sent out right away from the Max2. Success!!

I wanted to share this experience to help anyone else with the mail app and to see if someone else has a different experience with gmail or outlook. Please reply with comments and include any screenshots you think are important for others to see.

Jason

Other thing: when I checked the security issue with my gmail account it registered the Max2 as LeEco Le Max 2 which when I Google that phrase a cell phone comes up. Just FYI for the Onyx people.

3 Likes

Thank you! This was A HUGE help!

Yes, this is pretty helpful. Thanks! However, I hope developers can make the email app secure enough to pass Google criteria…