Finally, firmware 2.1.2 is available now!

I bought it at Aliexpress, and where I had to chose between having it shipped from either China or Spain, I selected Spain since that is most close to where I live:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Model-BOOX-Note-Lite-eBook-Reader-Android-6-0-32GB-2G-e-Reader-10-3/32916329155.html?spm=a2g0z.10010108.1000001.12.602b3232T8YtHI

All good on my Max 2 Pro! After I downloaded and installed the update, my MobileSheets Pro had an update, too. Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy-- everything’s working great. Love the navigation ball!

(Loving this device, BTW. Just got it and it is everything I hoped for and more.)

1 Like

Dear Claire,

My device is Max 2 pro. With the update of V2.1.2, the highlight delete symbol has been disabled. How can I have it enabled? Thanks!

Tim

Hello Tim, could you kindly submit this on Feedback via Settings/ Feedback on your device? Our relative colleagues will have better and faster diagnosis of the problem. Thank you for your understanding!

Yepp. Thank you for your fast response.

You asked me this because you said you needed to check what distributor sold this model (for you!) so you could then inform me how I could acquire the firmware.

It has been more than two weeks since I answered that question.
You have still not replied.

A while back you suggested I should set my Note to Chinese and then do the update.
I did that, which resulted in some ‘mixed’ update where the version number didn’t match what it should be.
I asked about that.
No reply.

You asked me by PM for my email, so I would be contacted by email about the firmware.
I provided that, but have not yet received one single email.

(perhaps that was only an attempt to keep this forum board clean from negative experiences and complaints about Onyx and their rather terrible firmware update policy?)

The website still offers no firmware AT ALL under the ‘download updates’ button here:

I have notified Onyx that firmware for this model was nowhere to be found many months ago already.
But besides often silence, all you give is words, words and excuses about relative colleagues and mysterious distributors.

And let me say again, the website for ‘support’ for this model is in English, the website where I bought the product had the product page including all specifications in English, and the included printed quick-guide is in English.

So please stop coming up with lame excuses about Russian distributors, Chinese updates, Martian tides or whatever.

Your lack of decisive action and communication, and lack of control and transparency about the whole firmware/models/distributors matter is getting rather annoying to be honest.

Could you for now at least change the button from the screenshot above from: ‘SUPPORT’ to: ‘NO SUPPORT’?
That would at least be honest.

1 Like

While the exact relationship between OnyxBoox.com and Onyx-International.com could and should be made clearer, they do seem to be different entities.

For example, on OnyxBoox.com they offer a number of ereaders with different names from those offered by Onyx-International.

Also, if you look at the updates available for download, OnyxBoox.com has far fewer updates available. They don’t even have the most recent update for the Note Pro.

https://onyxboox.com/firmware

And, if you read the descriptions for the devices available on OnyxBoox.com, you will find that many of them come with preinstalled dictionaries for Russian and English whereas my various ereaders from Onyx have come with dictionaries in English and Chinese.

So, it does seem that OnyxBoox.com is a Russian distributor of Boox ereaders regardless of where their company is registered. And that they do not update their devices as frequently as the Onyx-International does. That said, Onyx-International does not seem to have offered any updates for the Note Lite either.

Have your tried to contact the seller to determine which model your device is or which firmware it is running? I think that would be my first step.

However, if it turns out that your device is running the Russian version of the firmware and if you did not purchase it from them, I’m not so sure that they will support it. I think that is one of the dangers from buying devices from vendors on sites like Aliexpress.

I don’t think that is the case, since when I ordered it I had two options of delivery, China or Spain.
It seems unlikely that a Russian distributor would ship their product from Russia, to China, to Spain.

Until Onyx finally discloses if my Note came from them directly or from some third party distributor all we pretty much have is confusion and rumors.

Dear, apologize for any inconvenience that may cause. We have forwarded your email address to our colleague who is responsible for the business on Aliexpress. Please kindly check the feedback from our relative colleague. As for the different firmware issue, we will push our distributor to make it clear and public on their website.

Claire -
Making the firmware issue public on the distributor’s page is too late for us who already bought our device from them. Onyx should provide a way for us to change our firmware to the onyx-international version. I know you will say that this “may cause bugs”, but anybody who knows how firmware works knows that this is not really true; if you wanted to, you could allow us to switch firmwares. For some legal or business reason, Onyx is refusing to allow us to choose which line of firmware is installed on our device; either be upfront about it or do the right thing and let us switch.

Dear, we have double checked with our relative colleagues that it is not suggested to reflash the device since you may lose some data or come across some bugs after that. Please kindly contact the seller to change the firmware if you would bear the possible data lost and bugs on your device. Apologize for any inconvenience that may cause.

I still don’t think Onyx realizes just how big this problem really is!
This is all about trust. In a costumer electronic market of a 1000$ range all about trust. The costumer spending such much money must trust in the company that they get what they was promised.
Having a third party reseller owning a domain name that suggest they are the original company itself and running a website that looks and suggests that they are the original company, that is a PR nightmare. This is a catastrophe. This completely undermines all the trust we (the costumers) have. From now on we can never know if we’ve purchased from an official store with official support and warranty or some “customized”, separately supported version from some unknown reseller.
If I were an Onyx decision maker I would do anything needed to close down this “reseller” website immediately!!!

I just stumbled again on this comment.
It’s really crazy, lazy and arrogant.

If Onyx would like to spit out products from their factory without wanting to bear any responsibility on support and updates, they should label these products under some other brand name.

They could e.g. make a deal with Dell, and then the brand name would be Dell, and it would be obvious that the responsibility for product support would lie at Dell.

Or if Onyx wants to make a quick buck on some products without wanting to give support, brand them as something like ‘Nonyx’, ‘CheapBook’, ‘FU’, or any other name (contact me for other suggestions), and make sure that there is no trace-back to Onyx.

Are you taking notes here, Onyx?
(Surely you will still have some pen and paper laying around)

But…
Onyx released the “Onyx Boox Note Lite”.
It has the same motherboard, cpu, memory, casing, boxing, quick guide (in English!), etc., and the same marketing material (in English!) as all other Onyx Boox Note ereaders.
Sure, it was a little bit cheaper, but that’s only because it has no pen features. In all other aspects it is identical.
In my opinion in theory it is the ideal ereader for books and pdf’s at this moment.
In theory that is.

Because somehow Onyx thinks that they can treat buyers of that product as some sucker that has adopted some b*stard that they feel ashamed of.

“go see if your reseller perhaps has some firmware for it”
Ridiculous!

I have been asking (begging) for support for this Onyx product for almost a year now.
And still, no useful results whatsoever. I wasted lots of time and effort on that by now.

And now I am stuck with a product with a useless Chinese language interface, and waiting on the mercy of some ‘relative colleague’ to send me an email so maybe I can get it in a usable state again.

Well, for now I got this off my chest (again), and hopefully it is some sort of warning to potential buyers of Onyx products so that they can avoid similar frustration and disappointment.

1 Like

I would recommend support of ereader.store, they are awesome. Even though my Note was out of warranty they still helped out.
I have tried contacting Onyx support but if I had no sucess with them so far.
About this forum- I see only Claire answering all the questions. I imagine it makes it harder for one person to answer all questions. (I am not sure if this username belongs to one person only though).
http://bbs.onyx-international.com/g/moderators

I’ll take your word for it that they are great.
But it’s a store, and while they obviously can give support on advice, warranty etc., I am sure they have no computer programmers employed that create or tweak firmware for the products that they sell.

Doing a quick check, I don’t think they even provide any information or links about software or firmware for the products that they sell?

And I wouldn’t much expect them too.
That is the expertise and the duty of the manufacturer.
Which is Onyx.
They should have support pages for all their products including available firmware updates and other support information on the product.

How hard can it be to have a landing page for (in my case) the Boox Note Lite, and provide links and some information on software updates for it?
If language or region is a problem just say and provide something like e.g.:
Chinese - firmware v2.2.2
English - firmware v2.0.0
French - not supported

Whatever. But do inform!

Yet Onyx keeps confusing and twisting and denying responsibility by saying things like, “well, that model probably comes from a Russian distributor, you should contact them”, or: “oh, that is an Aliexpress seller that ships from Spain, maybe send them an email”, etc.
Terrible.

They only provide that when you write to them , in my case .img file to flash my Note. That recommendation was just in a case as with Onyx support I could not get help (communicating with them also takes time).
Onyx should indeed make things clear about their products. I also had Note Lite and had problems with finding new firmware for it as OTA did not work at the time.
They could indeed give more information. To me it looks like they are acting all high and only care about profits. “We always know better than our customers”. If there was only a bit bigger firmware problem (not hardware) they ask you to send the device to them. Seems like, they give answers from what it seems a manual and if that does not help- you should always send the device to them. (Now it seems I am about to get out of topic so I will stop here).

1 Like