Some Suggestions for improvement

Hi,

I am a loyal customer of Onyx and received my device Boox max 2 on 11th March 2019 (I later installed firmware version v2.0.1). Ever since, I have been using this devise (heavily and seriously at home and in office) as a monitor to my laptop as well as a tab on daily basis. I like this devise so much because it helped me come out of my helpless situation faced due to serious difficulty of using LCD screens due to severe CVS condition.
I must thank Onyx for keeping on producing and marketing these devices to help people with CVS due to heavy computer usage. I see this venture not only as a business but also as a social service that helps the society a lot.
There are so many good features in this. I believe that Max 2 is not a mere e-reader anymore with the advanced features loaded in. It is high time that Max 2 starts its journey to evolve as a high end tablet plus e-reader. Keeping that in mind and as a person who loves and uses this devise on fulltime basis, would like to note down below points that I think would need improvement for professional usage.
Some suggestions for improvement

1. Position of power button

This is really a nuisance. The device is designed to work on up right (portrait) position. Very difficult to keep it on lap (or while reading in bed) or to keep on table on upright position because the power button is accidentally pressed because it is located right on the bottom protruded out. Why not power button is positioned on top edge embade into the body like in Ipad to avoid any accidental pressings?

2. Absence of built in landscape portrait switch
    To my experience to get the maximum productivity out of this, it should facilitate landscape view as a built in function that support all its functions. Because, large screen of tabs can be very effectively and productively be used this way. Problems due to power button position too can be eliminated a bit if landscape facilitated. Unfortunately there is no built in landscape mode to facilitate all functions. Alternative is third party app that supports it but it does not work with built in Neo reader, notes and home screen/storage etc. Inability to use notes and Neo reader on landscape is a productivity drainer.

3. Home page to contain apps

IF apps were given access through home page, it would be so convenient for the user because then apps could be accessed easily and conveniently in one step. Otherwise, wherever you are in, have to come back to home page and go to apps page to select apps which is an unnecessary burden.

4. Reboot needed to connect WiFi sometimes
As a way to save battery, wifi gets disconnected after a set period of idling time. When trying to connect again, it simply doesn’t connect with wifi and does not show even the available wifi list. Then I have to reboot the device to connect with wifi which is inconvenient.

5. When WiFi and Bluetooth connected battery drains fast
When wifi and Bluetooth key board are connected (in tab mode), battery drains really fast in about 4 to 5 or 6 hours.

6. When watching YouTube videos, batteries drain very fast
When watching You Tube on tab mode, battery draining is really fast. Whereas, Ipad saves battery life a lot in this case.

7. Difficult to read web pages at 16 level grays scale. Letters printed in ligt colors, thin lines, boxes letters printed on background etc in web pages are difficult to read.

By increasing contrast in browser and by increasing font size, this can be corrected a bit. But the problem will still remain. User experience with webpages would be greater if a solution to web page contrast issue is given.

8. Speaker volume too low

This is a generic problem that can be easily sorted out in next version of Max 2.

9. Micro HDMI and mini USB sockets look not strong
I doubt these sockets are strong enough for frequent usage.

1. After some time with third party apps installed, system gets slow and tend to stuck sometimes (rarely). This may need correction.

Hello, thank you for your suggestions for Boox! It is really very useful for us. We will forward this to our relative colleagues to follow up.
For the number 4, do you mean you could not connect with Wifi when the device is on standby mode for a long time? And you need to reboot to reconnect with Wifi. When this happen next time, could you kindly submit this on Feedback (Settings/ Feedback)?
For the number 7, you could long press the App icon to press the “Optimize” option, and you could try to adjust the font size and others to make it more convenient to read.

Hello Claire,

Regrading number 4… yes, after some time the device is in stand by and after turning on…

1. it does not automatically connect to wifi or

2. cannot connect manually even

3. During this situation it does not show the available list of wifi connections either.

4. So I have to reboot again to connect to wifi

5. As a temporary solution to this problem, i have set wifi to be disconnected and system to go standby only in 30 minutes of idle time (which is not an actual solution to the problem).

6. next time, when this happens and after connecting to wifi after a reboot, i will send feedback through the system same time.

Regarding number 7 …I have tried this but it cant help much mainly because the web pages are designed to give a good visibility on LCD screens. When we try to capture those images designed for LCD onto a gray scale monitor that visibility issue happens. I think it should be a solution through your OS/firmware which is enabled to identify low contest areas and solve the problem.

Even the bottom and other dark parts of your own website (https://onyxboox.com/) cannot be read on E-ink screen. You can try and see. I noted this only as a constructive suggestion because still the device can be productively used to read many other parts of the web pages.

1. Bluetooth is very smoothly connecting automatically or manually with my logitech k480 keyboard

Thank you

Hello Clair, so far i had 2 incideneses of not connecting with wifi today after waking from standby mode. As per your advice, i reported on both the occassions through the system.
Thank you

Regarding number 7 …I have tried this but it cant help much mainly because the web pages are designed to give a good visibility on LCD screens. When we try to capture those images designed for LCD onto a gray scale monitor that visibility issue happens. I think it should be a solution through your OS/firmware which is enabled to identify low contest areas and solve the problem.
We have tried this on Max 2, and it could be readable after optimizing. Could you please try again?

Hello Clair,

1. I have attached a screen shot of the bottom part of above web site under dpi 300 which i used to use and you too have recomended. Still it is not clear and cannot read.

2. I have attached web page optimizing page for your attention with the current settings. My web page optimizing page and your one seem to be different. What could be the reason. I have installed firmware version v2.0.1.

The interface is different because of the different firmware. You could update to the latest firmware later since we recently updated the firmware to version 2.1.1, which may cause bugs during use. This update has been temporarily suspended and we are currently developing a fix for these issues. The fix will be announced on our official website and social media once it is available. Apologies for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your understanding.

Hello Clair,

Hope you saw the bottom part of your web page as seen on max 2 which was our topic. As you can see it cannot be read. That was the number 7 on my suggestions.

Thanks