Max2 still misses the most obvious feature: switching between notes and documents

I already added this to my bugs and issue list in this thread:

This kind of lack of, or slow response to some key issues is what really kills me about Onyx. You have some really good hardware here hobbled by some minor, IMO, glitches/failings, And they won’t accept help from the community by opening up the software. The result, readers become obsolete before fixes/improvements are available. These guys could really explode in some sectors if they knew how to handle software development at a decent pace. As is, they seem destined to remain a relatively small-time operation.

5 Likes

I support this thought!

When readers become obsolete before fixes are available, you’re forced to buy the next reader just because it has a new android that finally fixes that one minor maddening thing. From Onyx’ perspective, what’s the problem?

So I’ve said this in other threads, but I’ve never rly replied here. I’ve had a pet theory about why these apps never show up in the multi-task menu. Not a reason because of course they should be in the multi-task menu, but a possible explanation for why they aren’t already.

So my theory is that NeoReader and the note app, as well as many other features accessible from the system sidebar, are basically encoded as functions of the system / skin, rather than traditional installed software. Notice how all the Google-play installed software shows up there, but not Onyx’s settings app, not Onyx’s file browser, etc. It’d be like expecting the notification shade to show up in the settings app - it’d take some real code refactoring and restructuring to make this behavior work if my theory is correct.

It’s kind of a shame, because it really showcases one of the wonkier design decisions made by Onyx software developers, if I’m correct. Someone would have had to see this issue coming.

2 Likes

I bought my Max 2, almost one year and a half ago. And I’m very disappointed because in this time, the software is worse and worse. These reasonable demands are not attended, and the last firmware is awful. My Books now freezes like never. So now I almost can’t use it. I don’t rely on it, because I fear I would lose my work for example taking notes in a talk, conference… Why don’t they adapt the firmware of the MAX 3 for the MAX 2? Have I wasted almost 1000 €? In this way, in a future (hoping at least 2-3 years more) I will not upgrade my Boox to another model.

1 Like