When will you release an update to Android 9.0?

Thanks for these informations. Is there a provisional timetable for the deployment of these updates?

Well either way. I’m glad I slept before making my decision because the specs on the Nova 2 look awesome! Gonna buy the Nova 2 when it becomes available on the 26th I think. With OTG support for usb that covers the one complaint I think Id have had with the nova pro, and thats no expandable memory. Its not exactly expandable memory but with flash memory being cheap this solution will work fine for me. And the upgraded specs and android version are also a plus. I feel all together its definitely worth the extra cost and wait (even though its only been a few days for me haha)

I appreciate the work done by the support team but why not focus on the update to Android 9 (including the new functionalities. Why split it into two releases which will delay the move to Android 9 (or this will never happen despite the good intentions… :frowning: )

It seems they were focused on producing the Nova 2 instead, which runs Android 9. From what I can tell it is identical to the nova pro but has 8 core CPU instead of 4 core, and updated software.

Maybe these are designed to be disposable, and to update software you just buy the newer model.

:joy::joy::joy:

Interesting marketing strategy. And it even saves us all the data for downloading the update!
A lot of toxic waste, though, and I think they might charge us for getting the new model … :thinking:

This is the problem with purchasing locked down devices. You are reliant on the manufacturer to provide updates and there is no incentive to do so after they have collected the sale. This is particularly insulting, because as owners of these computers (the onyx boox is an android computer running a free/open-source kernel), we should be able to update the software ourselves and run whatever software we would like on it after we buy it.

There is a thread where there are a lot of us asking for onyx to abide by the terms of the software license of the kernel that the tablet runs on and open up their modifications to the kernel, so that we (the community) may try to run our own software on these devices (Android ROMs or even full GNU/Linux).

But from the lack of response over these years, it doesn’t look like the developers nor the management care.

I’m now supporting the new 2nd edition of the reMarkable tablet, a device that has nearly feature parity with the onyx boox note and is “hacker friendly”, as in it’s really easy to extend their software and run your own programs and updates on the device. Here is an example of all of the wonderful programs and modifications that their user community has produced: https://github.com/reHackable/awesome-reMarkable

I hope you have good luck asking for an update :slightly_smiling_face:
Otherwise, running a hardware/software company is hard if you’re not one of the big players and if you’re doing everything by yourself, so it makes sense that the updates will take a while.

I still don’t understand their reluctance to take advantage of community development by opening up their platform a bit.

2 Likes

If reMarkable would’ve had a 13" reader I would’ve gotten that. Instead, I went for the Onyx Boox Max 3, which, hardware-wise, could be a great product. Unfortunately, on the software side, it’s got enough little issues that I kind of regret it now, given the slow-as-molasses update rate we’re seeing. I tried to contact one of the developers using their GitHub email address to see if they’d be more communicative, but all I got was silence.

1 Like

I bought the max 3 too. Regret and regret. My old Sony was so much better. Bought the remarkable 2. Hopefully that will do what I need.

1 Like

The remarkable 2 looks good but the 10.3" screen is larger than the 7.8" sweet spot for me. It is surprising to me that Boox does not have an unlocked bootloader. They are the only ones with an official SDK that I could find.

I wonder how much hacking potential is there on android? It seems there is potential for root access using something like kingroot. With root access, it’s possible more progress can be made without waiting for any cooperation.

1 Like

Which Sony?

Could you please tell me more about it?

I sold it because my coursework was done. Ow that I’m writing my dissertation, I miss it.

Hi. Any news for the update to Android 9.0 ? I’ve got an Onyx Boox note pro bought in march. Many thanks in advance

1 Like

I read somewhere that it will be released with the next update 2.4

Any chances Android 9 will still come? Any possible date?

1 Like

Any news about the next update with Android 9.0 ?

1 Like

Firmware 2.3 is out for Note. Is that still Android 6 or did they update to Android 9?
https://www.boox.com/downloads/#note-series
In the 2.2.2, they said that Android 9 is temporarily not available for Note, but 2.3 doesn’t say anything. Can anyone confirm the Android version one way or another?
I’m on 2.1.2 and it’s been super stable, so I’d rather not update unless it’s for Android 9.

Firmware 2.3 is still Android 6 on Nova, only the new Nova 2 has Android 9 factory-installed.

Nothing was announced about an update to Android 9 with firmware 2.3, so I assume it’s the same for all the other models running Android 6.

It’s not going to be. Now that they launched nova2 if you want android 9 you must buy that model.
This is what will happen almost sure.

Any update on this for the Note Pro? This is taking way too long!

Hi, we’re being patient. Where is the Android 9 update promised over a year ago ?

1 Like